1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It seems to be guitarists/singers that are the most controlling band members?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kylemcgregor96, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Kylemcgregor96

Kylemcgregor96

Aug 8, 2012
    Glasgow
    I've just joined a new band which I've been happy gigging with my last two bands. The guitarist is a very good friend but he seems very controlling (Like the last band). He told the whole band that he knows what volume we should all be so he is saying that every rehearsal and gig he is going to control our amp settings before we play? I'm having none of this, I told him that I like my bass a certain tone and he's saying that all basses should be deep and boomy.. (A whole pile of mud to me) I've been told to turn the middle and high frequencies down! I've told him that I'll be controlling my own bass settings or else leaving!.. Anyway, is was pretty annoying. We've all agreed that we'll have an equal say in the band which is the way I think it should be.

Has anyone else got stories?

2. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    Eh? This guy is surely on a fast track to being fired by his own band!

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Run, Forest, Run!

Good friend or not you need to tell the dude to back off and worry about his own rig.

4. It seems to be guitarists/singers that are the most controlling band members?

Sure. They are legends in their own mind.
    Megalomania:
    Megalomania is a psychopathological disorder characterized by delusional fantasies of power, relevance, or omnipotence. 'Megalomania is characterized by an inflated sense of self-esteem and overestimation by persons of their powers and beliefs'.

5. I think I've been the most controlling member in most of the bands I've been in.:ninja:

As far as the EQ'ing thing. I would make a deal with him that he can do whatever he wants with your high eq but he can't tough the mids. Most of the high end bass frequencies get eliminated by the rest of the band anyway but the mids are pretty important.

6. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Western NY State
    I would think the question should be "What's right for the music?" and everyone should leave the ego's at the door.

Maybe he's delivering the message the wrong way, but maybe he's just showing concern for the sound. Nicely asking you to make your instrument sound a certain way would have been a better way to go, though. That way you are working together.

It has been said that familiarity breeds contempt. Perhaps that's it? :meh:

7. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    Guitarists and/or singers may be the most controlling, but could it be that bassists are the most passive-aggressive?

Disclaimer: There is no way on Gods little green earth that I myself would fall into said category. I don't think. Well, maybe. Just a little. Or not. I'm just gonna sit over here in the corner and plunk about while y'all argue it out then I'll decide. Or just go home and post about the experience on TalkBass....

8. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Just ignore him... There's a reason he plays guitar!!! LOL...

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No on controls someone else's amp settings. I have asked our guitar player to limit how much he pushes the bottom end, but he definitely has some say in it. I certainly don't go over and tweak his knobs, in fact, I don't touch his amp.

We work together on stuff like that. I thought he played with a bit too much bottom, and I convinced him to play with a bit less. It improved our overall sound, but I didn't dictate to him.

Now VOLUME? That's another story. He does need to be concerned with being too loud with his Marshall Stack, but he has been very good about that, as well.

10. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I am usually the sound guy in bands I play, and guys love it. Guitarists really like the clangy bass so they scoop some of the harsh area to let me cut through, I cut punchy midrange on my bass to make room for their crushing mutes and they cut a bit at 400hz so I have some midrange definition, and we're all in love :D Drummer likes whatever he gets, he's listening to his kit mostly acoustically and couldn't care less, but I mix him pretty high anyway :D To be honest, I think that people need to talk more about the band sound and listen to records and say - I like how bass and guitar work here! That's exactly what we do, we mix it like gojira, guitars are there and they punch, but it's mostly bass and drum grinding show!

11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    YES...especially when the guitarist and singer are the same person.

12. Kylemcgregor96

Kylemcgregor96

Aug 8, 2012
    Glasgow
    Agree with most of the answers here, I like my bass setting the way they are and I would never let anyone go within a metre of my amp!

13. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Come on guys, it's a team game. I'd never just have the attitude of "I'll do what I damn well like" in my band. I'd think it, but try not to act that way.

It's a matter of degree. If our guitar player doesn't like my bass tone, he can say it without my panties getting in a wad. He can't turn the knobs on my amp though or control everything. We work it out. And on occasion he's been right.

It's not all or nothing. Cool the individualism just a bit and you'll be better off. It's a matter of working together.

I'm beginning to believe that Americans are a bunch of insecure blowhards.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Never admit to asserting yourself, or having a backbone, to the bassist forum.

I am definitely a team player in bands, and I take constructive criticism and advice when appropriate. But I also assume that I have been hired for my own knowledge, experience, and creative input. If a band has a complete and rigid conception of how they want the bass part to sound, well, it had better be darn good and worth my time financially. If not, they can hire someone else.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    What about vocals?

Sound guys who talk about how great they mix drums usually get beaten to death by my wife.

16. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I've played with one diva like that ( a guy ) , but he only targetted our 5-string cellist ( bass ). Now I have the bass chair in that group, but he is intimidated by my theory knowledge, and likes my playing.

Honestly, no particular band role seems the worst offender. Y'all just need to check this behavior and work as a team.

17. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Vocals take up the midrange scooped from other instruments, mostly, but we don't put too much emphasis on them (our rhythm guitarist is a vocalist). As for drums, I let the kick punch at dubby frequencies, the snare has some 8hz extra to make it cut, cymbals have some 'terrible midrange' scooped out of them (some 2khz) and that's pretty much about it, EQ wise. We rarely use toms so they are pretty much maxed out but scooped to get some ear piercing attack out of them. Also, my FOH mixes are appreciated by people with sensitive ears because I take extra care of that 1-4khz region :D

18. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Having someone else dictate your amp settings is uncool.

....Unless they're paying you.

...Or your sound isn't working in the mix.

There are always mitigating factors. The OP's guitarist just sounds like an opinionated a$$ with an overinflated sense of himself. But there are absolutely times when you may need to check your ego at the door regarding your sound. If someone has hired you for a paid gig, you've got to be prepared to be a little more flexible about your sound. And if the FOH mix is lacking because of the tone you're using on stage? Then you should be prepared to tweak your sound in order to make the overall mix work better.

Now can you choose to walk because you don't want to change your sound? Sure. It's your gear and your prerogative. Just as much as it might be the prerogative of a bandleader to fire you for being difficult to work with, and badmouth you to other bandleaders.

19. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I don't really see where the issue would be - my bandmates don't have to tell me to cut treble on my bass because I cut it when appropriate and let it ring when not. My guitarists never put too much bass out of their amps since they understand that some parts of our songs don't work (harmonically) without the bassline. It's very important to deal with good people and musicians, to begin with. I take care not to blow people's ears off, but I think that with right communication and idea nobody would ever complain about anything. I won't even complain about someone not playing very well at a rehearsal because I know the next one will be better, so we don't really complain about anything to each other, and it works. But I guess that's one of those 1% bands that work fine, I've been in ****** bands for years so I know how hard it is to find something good and functional.

20. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    In defense of controlling band members, speaking as someone who has been in that position before, most amateur musicians are only concerned with their own sound/playing and rarely does anyone step back and listen to the whole band sound objectively.