Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It sucks being In Europe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Don't get me wrong, I love being Maltese and European. But it is so frustrating when you keep reading '...will deliver to lower forty eight states only....or US only...' on ebay.

Musicyo was a typical example. I wanted to order a Tobias Toby Pro 6B but they would not deliver to Malta (which is strange seeing that they use fedex who do deliver here.)

And if I do manage to order a bass from the US where most of the great makers are (Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Nordstrand, Conklin, etc, etc) I can expect to pay at least an extra $200 for shipping, insurance, taxes, etc.)

Ok had a good rant about it. I guess some of you guys in the land of Ozzie land down under must feel the same. :scowl:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is an "exclusive" European dealer for those, based in England - the ad comes up on virtually every page of TB for me!! They are still pretty cheap!

I think you have to get used to the fact that the internet is dominated by Americans - but it's all there in Europe if you look for it!

3. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Hay Wadge,

I love Malta! We played the Malta Jazz Festival this summer - it's about the most spectacular setting I've experienced.

As far as instruments, even more frustrating than import fees is the fact that there is hardly any opportunity to try those handmade basses. I've yet to encounter a Nordstrand, Conklin, and many orhers.

On the other hand, also in Europe you can find exellent builders that you'll never hear of in the US.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As as a PS - I've also visted Malta and loved it - whether it was wandering about in Valetta or swimming in Mellieha Bay!! ;)

I'd much rather be close enough to go for frequent trips to the Mediterranean coast.......:)

5. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    If I sell something expensive, I usually don't ship overseas---it is cost prohibitive to insure it to the level we can ship to the US. Also, it is hard to guarantee an item will reach Germany, Poland, etc. It is nerve-wracking to hope it gets to the person safely.

Besides that, buyers often ask to say it is a gift, so they don't pay the exorbitant import duties. Well, that helps the buyer a lot, but it negates any insurance I might be able to put on the item. Self defeating for me, the shipper. If I ship to the US 50 states, it costs me a couple or three dollars extra for $1000 worth of insurance. That makes me feel good to ship.

Andrew

6. jazza42uk

jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    The thing that p1sses me off about the US/Europe thing is seeing a bass on musicyo or the like with a $600 price tag, & then looking on a UK site and finding the same instrument for £600... :scowl:

7. Hear hear... especially now that the exchange rate is about USD1.9 = GBP1.

I have resorted to ordering from the States. Even with the shipping and customs charges, it is still cheaper. I'd rather support the local shops, but it's untenable.

8. Wal basses are made in England aren't they? I haven't seen any here in the Dallas area but I sure would like to check one out. Are they plentiful in Europe?

Oddly enough all the really legendary rock bands are from England. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Cream, Led Zepplin, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police (Sting).

Even metal has English roots with Black Sabbath. Not to mention the greatest of all metal bands, Iron Maiden.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    New MIM Precisions sell for USD700 new at the local shops. That's a good price isn't it? :scowl:

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I understand the bit about insurance and shipping cost. However, I have a feeling some Americans are overly distrustful of Foreign Countries.The amount of handling to send an item to Europe is not much more that coast to coast. Postal and delivery companies in Western Europe are just as reliable as in the US. UPS, TNT, FedEx, DHL all do big business here. And I bet that goes for a lot more places on Earth I don't have first hand experience from. I got ripped off by on LAX by a baggage handler years ago. I've never experienced anything like that anywhere else.

11. I recently sold a bass to someone in Australia.

First off, it's a pain in the a** to ship outside the country. Most Americans are not used to shipping things that include duties, extra paperwork, and the fear of the stuff getting damaged due to the long shipping period.

Second, fraud is a major concern, Paypal only insures the money from chargeback for certain countries, and only when it is sent a certain way.

I used escrow.com for my transaction, to cover my butt. It took them about three to four attempts to properly check the buyers funds to prevent fraud, and took about a month and a half to verify. Way too long of a process for me to do again. :spit:

12. Mate, you have no idea how much it pisses me off.

Fender Jazz Standards still retail at $3295.00
    ***! :eek:

13. I would love to be in Europe right now. I love Europe. Never been to Malta but I am sure it is nice. Lots of dealers will ship to Europe. If you pay with a credit card, you enjoy some protection against fraud. Still cheaper from what I have seen.

14. No complaining untill you've lived in melbourne (australia)

15. Yeah, well I would live in Oz in a heartbeat if given the opportunity and work permit. But I need to be near the water, N.S.W. or even Adelaide.

I spend a winter there and did not want to come back.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    ...unless the one bass you want is in Germany. :meh:

Marshall

17. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi equipment prices aside, living in Europe is great.

Shipping stuff around Europe or to/from anywhere is not a big issue. A bit more paper work, true. All the major couriers have extensive networks here. DHL is a German company to boot.

Merry Christmas folks. One nice thing about Christmas here is it's not the big commercial affair.

18. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i don't think living in Europe is that bad!

first, you can get lots of fantastic equipment, too.
    From Neuser, Lefay, Hotwire, Overwater, Goodfellow, WAL, Marleaux, Laurus, Van der End, Glockenklang, EBS, ... I could go on and on.
    You just don't have to set so much on American things. They aren't neccessarily better, just much more exposed.

And if you really *need* that certain US product, just talk to the people a bit. Most of them will work with you on things.
    And, especially with the dollar value in the last months, prices weren't so bad, even including shipping and taxes!

20. I want to go to Malta!!!

By the way Wadge, I like your signature.