Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It was making a funny noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mumbojumbo4, Apr 23, 2004.

1. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    I had a contest tonight and during the first song (which was a big band swing song), my amp started to go up in volume and down again slowly. Sorta like a wah-pedal would do. It only happened during that song though. We played a latin and ballad song after that and it didn't do it. Does anyone know why this happened. If you do, can you help me out. :help:

2. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Just a thought... Are you sure it was your amp?

My guitarist brought this tremelo pedal to rehearsal, and didn't mention it one night... He started using it during this slow groovy Roy Orbisonesque tune we do, and his frequencies were kind of meshing with mine. I thought my amp volume was modulating and my amp was about to be toast... A few seconds later though, he moved to a higher register and I could hear what was going on.

Or you might need to take the amp to a good tech and get it checked out. :D

Cheers,
    Chris

3. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I used to play through an Ampeg B2R. One gig, during sound check, it started doing the same thing. Turned out the power to the stage was crud and when I really reached for some emphasis, the volume dropped and then would rise. A dedicated power cord to a seperate circuit solved the problem. My next purchase was a power conditioner with voltage regulation. Hope this helps, though it may not be the same problem.

4. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    it was a jazz band gig and we have no guitar player.

5. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    What kind of amp is it? Has the problem resurfaced?

Chris