IT/Windows/virus help urgently required

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jun 8, 2004.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hello everyone,
    About an hour ago I downloaded and installed a free piece of viruschecking software ('AVG Free Version') from - this software was recommended in 'The Sunday Times' IT section by the way.

I had to restart the PC to complete installation. So far, so easy.

Windows then would just not load.

After pressing the restart button on the front of the PC a few times, Windows eventually loaded in 'safe mode'. The virus checker had now been installed and in a start-up system check, it immediately picked up one virus (I didn't note the name) which it automatically removed. I believe that the filename was 'mobpujedxn.exe'.

I have now made several attempts to restart the computer into normal mode, but it keeps loading up in safe mode and two error messages appear on screen:

Cannot find the file 'mobpujedxn.exe' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

I then click "OK";

Could not load or run 'mobpujedxn.exe' specified in the WIN.INI file. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the WIN.INI file."

I then click "OK" to this and am left in safe mode.

I have opened up the WIN.INI file and the first paragraph of text states:

device=HP DeskJet 693C (Copy 2),HPDSKJTB,LPT1:"

I really don't know much about computers, so could really use some advice on what to do. What do I delete from that paragraph in the WIN.INI file? Do I risk making things worse? How can I get back into normal mode?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Delete that line, save win.ini (make sure notepad doesn't add .txt to the name) and reboot.
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thank you very much JMX!

Everything appears to be back to normal now!

Thanks again,