1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Italia Cavo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenjazz, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fenjazz

fenjazz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    I've been really interested in this short scale bass since seeing it posted in the NAMM thread earlier in the year. I pulled the trigger on it when Reverb was having their cyber sale last weekend and it arrived this week. The fit and finish on the bass is great. lot of nice touches like the circle inlays, binding and vintage-inspired hardware. You can't see it well in the photo, but the green paint has some nice glitter to it.

I was worried the tone block would a lot of heft, but it's very light and resonant. It came with rounds and the tone is really aggressive when left wide open. I like the pickup blend a lot more than the traditional Hofner-style pickup select. I gigged it last night at a rock show and it sounded huge with the tone backed off a little. Very happy with the impulse buy so far.

cavo.

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Those basses have caught my eye--along with the Supro Huntington, which it seems you also have. (Happy Holidays!) I'd be interested in any comparative notes.

ProdigalBassman likes this.
  3. fenjazz

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    They are pretty different beasts. The Cavo has rounds on it and pickups seem a little hotter. Since it's semi-hollow the tone has some more air to it. The Supro can get some more mellow, traditional tones, but that likely has a lot to do with the flats on it.

Here's a good rundown of the tones of the Cavo:

Italia Maranello Cavo Bass Review - Guitar Interactive Magazine

fermata likes this.
  4. fenjazz

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    One more review:

fermata likes this.
  5. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    Digging up this sorta-old thread as I’m looking for some insight in this bass, specifically does the hollow body + f-hole produce enough sound unamplified to do well for unplugged practice sessions?

6. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

Mar 22, 2012
    I have a SpectorCore semi hollow and it's the one I go to for unamplified practice. I'd imagine this would do well for that also. I'm interested in short scale and I"ve been looking at the Supro Huntington II and III. Then I spied this bass drool! It, too, is gorgeous and the online demos I"ve seen also sound great. Ideally I'd love to hear a comparison of them.

7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Very nice all the way around - he is correct saying hollow-body ss basses sound great, especially with flats. This one is probably audible unplugged in a quiet room, but it would still be volume polite through a small combo amp.

8. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

Mar 22, 2012
    JIO is absolutely correct. A semihollow bass is OK for practicing alone in a quiet room, but that's it without amplification. If you need to hear yourself better, you might consider a tiny plug in practice amp like the Vox. You can plug in a music source via a standard mini sterio jack and practice along with headphones.
    upload_2018-11-21_15-43-5.

fenjazz and JIO like this.