1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Italia Imola Bass Neck Joint Screw Size? (yes I lost them)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lesiris, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Lesiris

Lesiris

Jul 14, 2017
    Hello, I made an account in hopes I can get this question answered.

Background: I watched the Jaco Pastorious documentary on Netflix and was immediately inspired to convert my only bass: a 5-string Italia Imola to fretless. I went through the process and was proud of the result, only problem was one of the roommates (or myself) misplaced the neck screws to put it all back together. I have torn apart the rooms in a crazed search with no results.

I have also e-mailed Italia offering to buy some - no response, not sure how well the company is doing, as I found this bass at a reasonable price on Craigslist randomly. I was also looking into places such as allparts.com or eBay as well, but I am not sure how 'universal' these screws can be. I read a horror story of mismatched screws coming through the fretboard or not joining the neck and body in alignment, so with that in mind I hope one of you have a solution.

Thanks!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    Stick a tooth pick down the holes and measure the depth, add to that the thickness of the neck pocket; buy screws to fit.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    ^^^^^ what he said. Take the neck plate with you to the hardware store. The width of the countersinks in the neck plate should match the size of the screw heads, which get progressively larger for thicker screws. I'd buy screws one size bigger and one size smaller than what looks like best fit, and try them carefully. They are probably metric screws for an Italian bass, which you may have trouble matching. If it feels like you are forcing it, STOP. It should take no more than moderate hand force to tighten the screws. Put a little wax on the screws before you try it, no sweat.

Edit: Looked up the Imola out of curiosity, nice looking bass, but no neck plate, looks like screw ferrules. Same idea, take a ferrule (or the whole body) with you to find a screw that fits comfortably in the ferrule.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021