Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Italia modulo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 18, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i find this design really interesting.

have you ever tried one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those lipstick pickups....

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No, but I like the chintzy look.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The top one *really* looks like a 1950's Howard Johnson's toilet seat...

4. Curious - 4 lipstick pickups (it looks like, anyway) and no controls......:confused:

What is the body material - from the side photo the top looks like it might be plastic!:eek:

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you look close you'll see 2 control, a vol and a master tone.

the body is supposed to be 2 pieces of wood screwed together, the thing is that the pieces are not longitudinal. there could be a tonal chamber inside too. funny thing is that you unscrew those screw that you can see on the back of the bass, the 2 pices of wood can be disassembled easy.

strange!

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can't imagine the tone on those instruments being that great - the pickups aren't meant to work that way.

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I don't know, on Claypool's Whamola, he's got half of a P-PUP mounted parallel underneath the string, and that thing sounds pretty good. Such as it is...

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Someone go check them out. Bassalone has a few.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've played three of the Italia models. They are really inexpensive neat basses. Actually I think the Modulo is the only one I haven't tried plugged in but if someone wants me to I will. There is one still at Bass Alone. I've tried the Mondial and my girlfriend owns the Maranello. For the price they are good basses...the maranello and mondial definitely sound good (especially the mondial with tapewounds) but I'm not sure about the Modulo.

10. Funky. Italians are always good for nifty designs :)

11. Looks cool... kinda has a Danelectro vibe to it.

Anyone else notice the sudden surge of vintage-esque instruments lately?