1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Italian EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by roadyboy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    I also have a Stagg. How does the weight compare to your Stagg?

2. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I weighed my MK on my bathroom scale. It is about 12.5 lbs. I don't have my Stagg where I can grab it to weigh it, but I am pretty sure the Stagg is lighter. If you could weigh yours and post it then others would know the difference.

3. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    My Stagg weighs 14.5 lbs. 2 lbs less would be nice.

4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    hmm. That's good news. Makes my want to drag my Stagg back out and weigh it. The MK feels so substantial I figured it weighed more.

5. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I did my first gig with my MK Studio last night and it went really well. I ran through a Fishman platinum pro (the old one) into a Markbass micro 801. The MK doesn't require a pre-amp, but I like being able to shape my sound with the Fishman. It takes longer to setup then the Stagg does.

I brought the tripod stand and used it for breaks and setup. I am not sure I was using it right. After setting my end pin height to where I like it, I would put the Studio into tripod. It really did not seem stable at that height. In the future I think I am going to have to shorten the end pin length before setting into the tripod. For home storage I prefer the Stagg stand which the MK Studio fits on perfectly.

A note on the end pin, both my Stagg and DB have end pins that notches at regular intervals the MK does not so I had to mark it with a sharpie. This makes it impossible to set the end pin by feel as I do on the Stagg. This might be something that I replace down the road.

Playing it is fantastic. It feels so much like playing my DB. I did raise the action from where it came setup from the factory. I play with pretty high action on both my DB and Stagg. I didn't need the MK to be as high as either of those because the strings are D'Addario Hybrid Lights rather then SBW GripMax that I have on my DB and the Stagg. I am liking the Hybrid Lights so I may get a set for my DB.

To get the right fret board angle on the Stagg I would extend the end pin father and lean it at a greater angle. I do not have to do this with the MK. It is set to the same height as my DB.

One thing I have noticed is the finish on the MK seems to be more prone to scratching. I don't think it has a polyurethane top coat on it. It is not a big deal to me as this is a gigging instrument and dings and scratches come with the territory. My poor DB has it's share of them. I thought I would pass it along to anyone considering getting a MK.

The gig bag that comes with the MK is really nice. It feels sturdy. My Stagg gig bag has both zipper pulls broke off. I used key rings threaded through the zipper hole to act as replacement pulls. It is a bit bulkier the Stagg gig but fits in the same spot in my car so loading in isn't any different. It isn't as easy to carry in it's case as the Stagg. The Stagg is like carrying a pole. The MK in it's case is shorter and wider then the Stagg so I carried it like electric bass case.

The sound. This is what I am really loving about it. The MK sounds nothing like the Stagg. The MK is much closer to a DB then the Stagg. I play both EUB and DB. The main reason for EUB for me is space in the car and space at the venue. Like a lot of people who buy EUBs, I want the EUB to be a drop in replacement for my DB. With the sound and feel but none of the space issues. The MK Studio is damn close to me. I bet the MK Jazz is even better and the MK Classic better still. I could only afford the MK Studio and so far I am very happy with my purchase.

I headed down this road not because the Stagg was not getting the job done but because I play from the left side of the bass and when I hacked the Stagg accommodate this way of playing, I did a really crappy job. I went on a hunt to find an EUB that was neutral in regard to where you stand. The only one that I could find in my price range was the NS Wav until I found the MK Studio. Because MK basses can be customized reasonably, I had them built mine to how I play.

Well this post was too long, hopefully it will help others thinking about getting a MK EUB.

6. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Appreciate the post. The gig bag for the Stagg is very poor. I replaced mine with a custom Mooradian. Stagg EUB megathread
    Can you post a picture of the MK on the tripod? I made a temp stand for my Stagg by cutting down a heavy duty music stand. The legs fold so I can carry it in the gig bag. I drop the endpin into the vertical tube and the legs open wide enough to keep the Stagg stable when not in use.

7. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    IMG_1039.JPG

Here is the pic you requested

8. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Thank you! That looks just like the stand I made for my Stagg. Mirko and I think alike:)

9. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Quick update at my latest gig I got some video of the MK Studio in a live setting with my band. I am playing into my fishman platinum pro pre-amp then to my PJB flight case. I am really happy with the sound I am getting from the MK Studio.

Jsn and Ortsom like this.
  10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    how do you adjust the string height on these?

11. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    with an included allen wrench. on the back behind the bridge is two screws. You turn them to raise the platform the bridge sits on.

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i really like the looks of these but its so difficult to buy one without trying it first...

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    how do you adjust the string height on the classic model? it looks like the part that the bridge sits on doesnt move...

14. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    It is a big commitment, but I've ordered one after reading the posts here, listening to the demo videos and exchanging emails with Mirko. Mine is built, but waiting on the arrival of a set of LaBella 7710s I ordered from Gollihur and shipped directly to Mirko.

15. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I would email Mirko. He usually is very good about answering emails.

16. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Does anyone have one of these in the New York-New Jersey area?

17. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    My La Bella 7710s from Golihur have arrived at Mirko's shop! He'll finish the setup of my Jazz-P and send me pictures tomorrow. So psyched!

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  18. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    So cool! Post a pic or two here.

19. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh

Sorry, I can't help you, I'm in western PA

20. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Pictures Mirko just sent me. Jazz-P, ebony fingerboard, LaBella 7710 strings

Attached Files:

• 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      95.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG