1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Italian EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by roadyboy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Beautiful!

2. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    I cannot speak highly enough of Mirko. Besides the ebony fingerboard and using my supplied set of strings I had also requested that the back of the neck be stained to match the body and headstock. when I realized from the photos this hadn't been done I asked him what had happened. He immediately apologized for forgetting and is re-staining the neck. I will have photos in a couple more days. Needless to say this would not have been possible to request on a mass produced instrument. I am so thrilled and looking forward to receiving the bass next month.
    Will post more as the process progresses.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i did, a few days ago. no response...

4. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Here are the new photos after Mirko refinished the neck to match the body and headstock. I could not be more pleased.

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      94.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      113.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
    madbanjoman likes this.
  5. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    My Jazz-P shipped yesterday. Should arrive in 5-8 business days. Mirko provided detailed instructions for setting it up and maintenance. :hyper:

6. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I hate it that I cant just see how much these run

7. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I really want one, but know I will need to save for a long time so it would be nice to see the base model pricing

8. $1400 I think? They advertise on eBay so you can look there.

Josh Kneisel likes this.
  9. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    I believe that is for the Studio model. The base Jazz-P is ~1900. Mine with an ebony fingerboard was 2267EUR including shipping to the US West coast. It takes a 500EUR deposit then Mirko had it built in about 6 weeks.

Josh Kneisel and ColdEye like this.
  10. guitch

guitch

Feb 9, 2015
    hi there!
    Some questions to the owners of the Studio model:
    - was the bass fully playable right out of the box or did it need to be set up by a luthier?
    - And does the instrument "bounce" when played pizz like a Stagg (with its flimsy body supports) or is it as stable as an acoustic upright?
    cheers

11. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    My Studio has no bounce. The only thing I changed in regards to setup was the string action. It was too low for how i play. Raising the action is turning two screws with the provided allen wrench which I did myself.

12. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Here are few photos of the unboxing this Friday. I love this bass! Volume direct into a PJB Double Four was impressive. It is so much more comfortable to place than the Stagg. The bouts are very stable. There is a wooden plug on each arm which sits an a recess preventing any movement. A delight.

Attached Files:

ColdEye likes this.
  13. VaBeachTom

VaBeachTom

Feb 13, 2017
    Virginia Beach
    I am considering this bass vs the NS NXT from Gollihur with the upgraded strings and tuners. This will be my first EUB, with no prior DB experience, primarily playing jazz. Can you compare these 2? Thanks!

14. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I am not the person you're asking and I don't own the NXT but it was one that I had considered. One thing I didn't like about it was the lack of a heel. It seems more geared for electric bass players.

15. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    I've not owned or played an NS NXT, but the scale length is only 34". That makes it an upright bass guitar. For the MK, or a Stagg you use 3/4 bass strings ( at least 41" scale). Make a huge difference in the sound especially for standard jazz.
    I tried for several years to get a semi-hollow Fender fretless to sound like and upright for jazz and was never satisfied.
    The MK is the real deal. My opinion is it's light-years ahead in playability, sound and sheer beauty, of any other EUB on the market, many of which cost thousands more (Yamaha SLB anyone ;) )

VaBeachTom and madbanjoman like this.
  16. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh

I am also following your other thread about picking an EUB. In my opinion, anyone of the MK models will make you very happy. I play DB and own the Stagg EUB and I absolutely love my MK Studio. You will have to learn DB techniques and once you get into it my bet is you will want a DB. I started on my Stagg and once I started getting ok on it, I wanted the real thing. Once I played my DB for a while, the Stagg wasn't going to cut it. The MK feels very close to the real thing.

VaBeachTom likes this.
  17. VaBeachTom

VaBeachTom

Feb 13, 2017
    Virginia Beach
    Thanks for your reply. Are not both instruments 3/4 size? If so, why is there a difference in scale length?

18. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    NS makes 2 sizes, 3/4 and 34" EUB

19. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    so, is everyone still loving their MKs? Based on the clips here I've opened contact and considering a Jazz.

20. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Still loving mine, though technically it's still the honeymoon period.

rgull likes this.