1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Italian EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by roadyboy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Totally love it. It is beautifully balanced and a delight to play.

2. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Close to pulling trigger

3. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    Anyone with an MK jazz-P doing arco? If so are you using a quiver and how have you attached it?

4. Would anyone with a Jazz(P) please comment on its unamplified volume; E.g. does it seem quieter than (say) a Stagg? I need to be able to practice arco at home without disturbing an other. I had a Stagg, which has no intended chambers or vibrating parts, and it was very quiet. I'm concerned that the 'resonance soundboard' may make it less than silent. Tricky subjective ask, but any response welcome. I need to shift a couple of other instruments before I can order, and ideally would find an owner in the London UK area who would let me bow his for a minute.

5. richardg1952

richardg1952

Jun 2, 2014
    I don't use a bow yet, so I've no experience there. I have both the Stagg and an MK Jazz-P. The MK is noticeably louder than the Stagg and in a quiet room I can practice pizzicato without any amplification. The Stagg you really need the headphones to hear it. If the room is not perfectly quiet, I plug into an amp.

6. Thank-you; I feel some serious trading coming on.... I'll be putting a through-neck Thumb 5-string and a Suker fretless 5-string Uberhorn out to fund an MK Jazz-P, once my jazz guitar sells.

7. sandcraig

sandcraig

Jun 24, 2018
    Just sent an e-mail off to the guy, wondering if anyone has anything specific to say about the Fly. I travel a lot..and would like an option that doesn't require renting when I get there or an absurdly large and expensive flight case.

8. donotfret

donotfret

Jun 11, 2018
    I've just ordered an MK Classic 5-string. It's not cheap, but given that it's hand-made in Italy, gives a very solid impression and seems to sound amazing, it was not such a hard decision. Then again, compared to factory-made basses from China it costs only a little bit more, so one could argue it is actually a very competitive price. It's also nice that I got to choose my preferred scale length at no extra cost. Regarding the customer experience so far I can confirm what others have said before - very quick and detailed replies to my emails.

It's a new model which is not yet on the website (will be updated soon according to Mirko's email). It comes with an ebony fingerboard and Pirazzi mediums. Personally I think the sound has audibly improved to the previous model (which already sounded good to me - all of this based on the videos of course). Also I find it nicer looking.

These are videos of the new model:
    Band
    Solo

9. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    does any one know if there is a way to try one of these in the usa?

10. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Only way is to find someone near you who owns one that I know of.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Anyone near NJ own one?

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Actually I'll be in the Manchester New Hampshire, Portland Maine / Boston areaq a bit over the next couple of weeks. Does anyone up there have one I can try? Any model would be great

13. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    Hello,

I'm really interessted by an EUB ( I own an Acoustic DB), not too exensive.
    I'm interessted by ns wav4 or Warwick rockbass triumph.

But the MK studio looks cool.
    What about the price ?

How much euros cost this beauty ?

14. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    MK sells his basses on EBay and they range from 1400€ for the MK Studio to 2K and something. Notice that you can ask on the website an estimate for a bass you'd like. You can also choose various options for customizing them. Take a look here: Strumenti - Contrabbassi Elettrici MK

rebusx likes this.
  15. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    I assume by now the honeymoon period is over. How do you like it?

And do you have experienced with acro on it?

16. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I still like mine. It's my main upright for most gigs since getting it. I am not an arco player so I can't really comment on that aspect of playing it.

HCF likes this.
  17. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    Bit of a bump because I'm still obsessing over these basses.

Anybody got any experiences with these in loud settings? Them being more resonant than, for example, a NS would also make them more susceptible to feedback?

18. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I'm also curious about how well the MK Classic would survive a harsh existence temperature- and humidity-wise. Such as a recreational vehicle traveling though different climates. The builder recently told me in an email, "There shouldn't be problems, we shipped Classic models to Singapore, very wet areas, to Norway to Martinique." I'd like to hear from some of those owners' experiences.

19. I own the MK classic and live in Braunschweig. Here it is rather dry in winter and a bit humid in summer. No problem. This should be clear from the smaller diameter (about 1/3 of the unusual upright) and a bit thicker top and bottom plate. Actually I am totally satisfied and like the sound. Bowing works great, too. Concerning to the question above on loud environment: This is really an acoustic instrument. So you need some care in amplification. Feedback susceptibility is quite reduced but the body tends to applify nockings.

HCF likes this.
  20. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Thank you for the comments! If the Classic is 1/3 the size of a standard double bass, would you say the acoustic volume is about a third? I've had a few acoustic bass guitars and they were pretty much useless without amplification, even when practicing alone.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021