1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Italian EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by roadyboy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. It al depends on what you do. Bowed the MK Classic can easily compete / collaborate with a classical guitar. Pizzed it would need some amplification. The sound easiliy fills a room without disturbing your neighbor. Its definitely much louder than a stagg EUB. So, in my opinion a good compromise.

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  2. Krantz

Krantz Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2009
    OK so it's been 5 years since I ordered my MK studio and I wanted to provide some continued current feedback after purchasing the base model the Studio, back in December 2016:
    I had the pickup replaced by Mirko when it shorted; sent the adjustable pickup block assembly to Italy, and received it back as good as new promptly and efficiently.
    Had the bridge replaced when I adjusted the pickup block Allen bolts to high; order sent to Mirko Italy, and received a replacement mk studio bridge good as new promptly and efficiently.
    Alex in South San Francisco measured, cut and repositioned the replacement bridge at a nominal cost and it functions as good as new.
    Determined to coax the optimal sound using my AI Claurus 1 (Series 2) and using a standard high quality D'Addario cable in the High Z input and I subsequently achieved a fantastic and excellent, need I say as good as a piezo equipped upright Bass, using the HPF at approximately 11 o'clock with treble, brite and mid's cut to 9 o'clock and bass boosted to 3 o'clock.

I am so totally pleased with this bass as I was pondering selling it, but for the amount I invested in 2016 (approximately 1700 including International Shipping, probably between 2000 and 2100 in February 2021) this is an extremely high quality and incredible sounding EUB that to me sounds really as good as an amplified Acoustic.

I also used my headway EHB 2 HE and through channel 1, tweaking the notch filter frequency and band width at approximately 11 O'clock respectively, and then slightly adjusting the eq's slightly cutting the mid, treble, brite, and slightly boosting the bass through my effects return on my AI Claurus I series 2, the beast sounded even better both bowing and plucking. This is just my personal assessment and not intended to sway or negatively influence any other upright owners looking for a backup EUB to your treasured fully carved upright. I am just completely shocked!

I guess my only complaints is that the pear fingerboard is subject to minor cosmetic scratches pretty easily, (accidental fingernail scratches on the side of the fingerboard), but for me that is relatively minor in comparison to the great sound and the price. Also, it should be noted that the bridge needs to be perfectly centered and positioned accurately as the pickup signal fluctuates based on the final seated bridge location on the pickup block to get the optimal sound, position, and string fingerboard geometry perfect, like your well set up upright.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    phloxxo likes this.
  3. Cartier76

Cartier76

Sep 23, 2020
    Houston area
    Krantz, thank you, your feedback from long experience with your MK bass is incredibly valuable to folks like me who have not laid hands on one of these.

Having read the good feedback from several in this thread, especially madbanjoman, in December my wife wrote emails to Mirko and ordered a Studio Up model. Mirko had it built exactly on the schedule he told us in December, and this week it was delivered to our home. This is the solid wood passive model, does not have an acoustic chamber which his Jazz and Classic models have. The instrument is beautiful, and solidly built. Next week I will take it to a bass tech in Houston to adjust the bridge for lower string height. It will be a dream to play.

phloxxo, bassyes and Krantz like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021