Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Italian Lefty Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Sep 12, 2005.

1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just had Chicken & Broccoli with Wanton Soup.. An Italian Dinner.. If that's an Italian Bass!!

For 3k? Must be Chinese or some other low cost import. Maybe the Italian guy converted and set-up this Chinese Bass for him but pouring 'Ragu' over 'Peeking Duck' does not make it Italian in my book.

2. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Here is a link to the luthier (At least I assume it is him. Born in Italy. Learned luthiery in Brazil. Living in Miami since 1973.) Even if the guy made the bass rather than just setting it up (hard to believe at $3K) it was made in Miami.

Anyway, Banchetti's number is there. Give him a call and see if he will give you the full scoop. It could easily be a good deal in the current price range.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Gotta try some of that wanton soup. Does it come topped with a trollop of sour cream?

4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Wanton trollop of sour cream mmmmmmmm...

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There doesn't seem to be any info about uprights on his site, just an EUB that he builds. He does have a "1/4 size Vuillame" for sale in the "Rare Instruments" section of the site.
    I agree, call the guy up see what he says. I kind of get the feeling that it's a student bass that he set up..

6. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

the ebay site says it was made by Paris Banchetti .
    I live in the area;
    Banchetti is a Luthier in Miami.

http://www.parisbanchettiguitars.com/

I like egg drop soup myself

7. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005

Hehe... Very clever Marcus. A trollop wearing only a dollop of sour cream might be more like it. ;)

8. That's what happened around here with our Mexican food....
    the minute the dollup of sour cream showed up, down went the quality of the real Mexican food.
    Mexicans don't know no God-damned sour-cream!

9. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Now, here a new twist. The lefty bass I mentioned earlier was sold for $975.00.

Now, ANOTHER lefty bass made especially for this seller by an Italian is up for auction on eBay starting at $1,495!

check it out at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Left-Hand-Banch...352970386QQcategoryZ16222QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gee, what a coincindence that he has two specially made lefty models (wink, wink). The Ragu sauce must be plentiful in Miami. Smells like he either bid on it himself and no one outbid him or he took another Chinese bass and got it ready real quick.

What do you think.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Chow.. Asta la pasta.. or more like 'ne how ma', si chin!

11. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    It looks like someone bailed on the completed auction because of the difficulty and or expense of shipping. The second ad is more honest that the first, but calling someone who was born in Italy and trained in Brazil an "Italian Luthier" is a little .... generous.

You rightys can laugh all you want, but if I hadn't just taken delivery of my Chrissy, I'd be calling Banchetti (rather than the seller) to get the scoop.

12. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I sent a message to the eBay seller asking him just how many lefty basses did he buy four years ago from the Italian and where were they made?

Here is his response:

Yes, I'll be listing a few more of these and they were made in a little fishing village near Bangkok in Thailand by an old Kung Fu Master who gave up a life of crime and decided to become a Monk and make fine bass instruments to support his family honestly. How many do you want Grasshopper? :)

Gotta love his sense of humor. Who knew that Shaolins were making basses these days.....lol