Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

italian mystery

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassbuz, Jun 24, 2005.

1. bassbuz

bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    canada
    hey.
    I'm wondering if any of you has heard of an italian bass by the maker Storineli or something like that. I was told it was a beautiful sounding instrument, but can't seem to find any info on the beast. ?? :meh:
    buzz

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You must be referring to Storioni. There are 3 members listed. One 'Carlo' is cheaper trade instruments 1888-1900. Another 'Carlo' is from 1800-1810 and the most famous is Lorenzo from Cremona born 1751. A 'Real' Bass by him will be close to 100k.

You have Pics?.. More info?

3. The Lorenzo Storioni in Elgar's Looking at the Double bass, is a guitar model.
    Elgar mentions: Well proportioned instruments of the guitar model.
    I don't know if that means all of his basses were guitar models or not. Kenny?

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Not everything in the Elgar Book is as it says. I do not know if that IS a Storioni for sure of even if Storioni made any Basses himself. Storioni was a great Violin Maker in the tradition of Cremona. Not many of those masters made Basses. They were in too high a demand to make Violins and an occassional 'Cello to bother with making a Bass.

I will believe a real Storioni Bass when no less that 3-4 international Violin/Bass experts concur it's originality. I might win the Lottery first!! .. Lucky Numbers anyone??

5. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Hey bassbuzz,

Did you try this bass at Kolstein's? I tried a bass there not too long ago. He said it was by a guy with a name similar to what you said. I remember thinking Storioni too but that was definitely not the name he used. However, he did mention that the maker was a contemporary of Stradivari. Could it be that Barrie had the name wrong and actually meant Storioni? Could it be that he got the name wrong on purpose? It was in his vault, so I assume it is being sold for a hefty price.

6. bassbuz

bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    canada
    good one -
    no it was more like sitting around in the bar talk. I was told this maker made great sounding basses that projected like nobody's business. of course, the evening wearing on, I remembered stori but not the rest. I will look into the kolstein aspect, though. thanks ispider6 and yall.
    buzz