1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Item I sold is back on eBay! Don't buy it

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thoughtpolice, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I just sold an Item on the bay - a 78 p-bass body, sold it for $300.00 because that was what it was worth; I bought it for $345 but took the Bad Ass Bridge II off of it. The bass is made of northern ash and weighs a ton! the guy bought it and turned around and listed it for $50 more than what he paid - lol;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7403459904&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
    I feel sorry if anyone decides to buy this bass - but if you do, know that it is very heavy as h*** and also know the situation - It is very far from perfect and it has an epoxy mess around the cavity from the previous owner. The guy even used my pictures and post for the most part adding little phrases like (When people talk about something being "like butter"...this is it!) - bad karma IMO. Just letting you all know it’s not worth the asking price; I’d hate for one of the TB’ers to get wronged in hopes that you were getting a real good vintage bass body because you'd be getting a real heavy, routed, epoxy stained back breaker!
    The new seller/owner also states that this is the originall finish and it is not - it was originally a 3 color sunburst that was refinished

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You're criticizing this guy for trying to dump this bass body when by your own admission that's exactly what you did????? He even used your photos and description albeit with some embellishment.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't think there is a problem here. He's just warning people about the truth of this body. I also don't think he mislead in his original sale (I'm assuming).

4. ddnidd1

He may not have been misleading in the text of his Ebay sale but it sure sounds like there may have been some omissions in the description of the body. He obviously wanted to dump it and now the new owner is doing the same using the original photos and description. What's the difference?

Now that he's sold it he has no problem elaborating on what a piece of s**t it is.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Guess so. I don't know about it, then.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm. here's your eBay ad for the same body:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...I.dll?ViewItem&category=64401&item=7398250733

Considering that you never mention it in YOUR ad that it was a refin, how was this guy supposed to know?

And, if he's just using your auction details, how are you any less of a dirtbag than you are accusing this guy of being? Or, are you just mad you didn't sell it for $350, instead?

EDIT: Did you really charge him $35 for shipping a BODY? I'm glad you posted this--now I can add you to my blocked bidders/sellers list.
    :rollno:

7. ddnidd1

Honest Ebay sellers mention the warts along with the highlights.

8. I thought when a bass was like "butter" it was due to how well the bass played, which would depend mostly on the neck? Just kind of funny i guess.

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Backfire... Table of one?

10. ddnidd1

Are you saying both of them stretched the truth????? Oh my god!!!

11. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Just warning folks here on TB that this bass is not worth what is being asked. Which is why I sold it for 300, not 345 the price i bought it for w/ the BAII Bridge - I took the bridge off and sold the bass for what it was actually worth.

12. This thread is filled with pure pwnage.

13. Well to be honest, I wasn't intending on getting involved in the actual arguement of the thread. But now that you mentioned it, yes, they both stretched the truth. Thoughtpolice really had no idea how the bass actually played since he just bought the body andtheperson who resold it had no real clue about the bass (thus he had to use the info provided by thoughtpolice in the auction).

So really, both auction descriptions are pretty inaccurate, saying the body is a "players bass" and that it plays like "butter."

14. I like how in your original auction it displays all of the following:

Q:how heavy is it?
    A:Hello, Thanks for the question - Its approx. 8.5 lbs with all of the hardware on it (as seen in the picture, weighed on a bathroom scale)

15. ddnidd1

Which, of course, you're not participating in.

16. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Considering that you never mention it in YOUR ad that it was a refin, how was this guy supposed to know? - you’re right I did not have that Im my details simply because I did not think about it when listing - and no I'm not mad I'm just letting people here know this bass is not worth the asking price (I did mention that in my post)
    I'm an honest eBay seller and answer my questions honestly, I never called anyone names, but you are without regard. If you want to block me that is your preference; no love lost buddy.

17. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    and.....That’s pretty heavy isn’t it? I mean my MIA Jazz body is only approx 5.5 lbs and it makes all the bit of difference in weight IMO

18. orly.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, it went from "Beautiful Swamp-Ash wood grain body!" to "Northern Ash" that is "far from perfect."

And, the "little epoxy above the volume knob, & around the control cavity that does not affect the playability of the bass at all" is now an "epoxy mess around the cavity from the previous owner."

You might answer your questions honestly, but you seem to have trouble being truthful up front in your auction.

I find it hard to believe that you "forgot" to mention that the body was a refin--a bit too convenient.

I do have to say that your argument of "His ad is full of falsehoods because they were lies when I wrote it!" is kinda funny.

20. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    1st off you're wrong - FYI - I found this out from a luthier when I had an allparts neck installed - Northern Swamp Ash is a type of Swamp Ash wood used on this era bass - it is Swamp Ash Wood

Wrong again - Did you not see the picture with the pickguard off, it shows everything? The post when I bought did not; so I added it this pic to show just exactly what epoxy was there.

How was the original auction not truthful and up front? How do you come to this conclusion lil’ deputy dawg - have you not been reading, or looked at my feedback?

Thats the truth, how much more honest can I be?:eek: if your here who's running hell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.