Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iteresting Article on Speeding Tickets

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, May 27, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I thought this was a pretty interesting article. And a must read for those who drive. (especially with a lead foot)

Speeding ticket article

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    When I lived in California there was a choice to go to "driving school" instead of tallying points. This consisted of sitting in a classroom for a day and trying to stay awake. It kept the points off the record and the insurance companies at bay.

In Maryland it is best to ALWAYS go to court. Just plead guilty and say you are requesting leniency from the judge. My last one changed from an 84 in a 55 to a 64 in a 55 just by asking the judge.

3. Some counties in California (Los Angeles) allow you to take traffic school online. You just watch these videos and answer questions and they don't report the ticket to your insurance company. You still have to pay the fine and the "processing fee" and stuff, and you can only do that once every 18 months, but at least your insurance doesn't go up.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    PM knows about speeding tickets don't you PM?

;)

::runs and crouches behind nearest squad car::

:bag:

5. I still think my method of not speeding in the first place works best :).

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    *bursts through the door*

*looks at puzzled stares... re-reads title*

Oooohhhhh.... S P E E D I N G ! ? !

Sorry 'bout that.

*slowly backs out*

*slam*

7. Always ask for a warning as well, that's worked once for me, in addition to not admitting guilt.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive been lucky so far. Ive been pulled over 3 times for goin 15 or more over and got out of the ticket.

I told each cop the same thing when he asked where I was going so fast "I know I was speeding. My dad and I just got into a huge fight and Im really upset about it, so I was going to my friends house to talk to him about it and calm down"

9. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA

Man, that was harsh....:mad: ;) :D

*runs behind squad car and proceeds to kick the crap out of Bobby*

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
  11. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    jeez...you and serene love beating the carp out of me don't ya? im beginning to think im not loved.. ;)

12. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Oh...you are very well loved...but you make it too easy...:D

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I just hand 'em my military ID with my license. Works every time. ;)

Back when I was living in So. Cal. (lord, how I miss it), they had COMEDY driving school, where struggling stand-up comedians taught the classes. I never went, but I heard it was almost worth getting a ticket for. :)

But even then, the rule of thumb was ALWAYS go to court instead of just mailing the fine. You had at least even odds the cop wouldn't show, and you'd be scot free. You had to be careful though if he did though; I knew a guy who tried to fight a speeding ticket on a motorcycle based on the "angular momentum theory," asserting it was impossible to judge the speed of a retreating object based on a single point of reference (i.e. looking at just one tail light, instead of two which would merge as the vehicle receded, giving you the ability to visually approximate its speed). The judge rolled his eyes and gave him the maximum fine. :D

[Speeding is evil though. Stop it. ;)]

14. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I am going to see about traffic school and see about knocking one of the 195.00 ticket...Go ahead and get insurance for my car...that will knock of 251.00...and all I wo0uld have left would be the other speeding ticket of 195.00

God help me, but I learned my lesson...631.00 worth...:(

15. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i learned my lesson too...don't piss PM off after she has to pay $631...

:: puts ice pack on forehead::

16. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I am so glad you are learning young one...:D

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    dang i think that's more than my car is even worth.

On a side note, I was at an outdoor party and there was a dude pissing in the woods across the street, which is perfectly normal 'round here. A cop car pulls up and they cite him for urinating in public and give him a $500 fine. $500 just for feeding the trees.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You couldve bought a bass, amp, or cab for that much.

19. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA

Thanx for reminding me Cass....I feel so much better about myself :bawl: ;) :D

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    :D ;)