It'll grow on ya...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What are some bands/songs that have grown on you... here's my examples. It's sad, a singer can sometimes ruin a band for me, and then again sometimes I'm just crazy, I had that problem with...

King Diamond

Now Rush and King Diamond they do take work to get use to. I tolerate Geddy Lee's voice, but now I like King Diamond's insanely high banchee howls. As for Tool, I don't know what I was thinking! At first I thought Manyard was annoying, now he's one of my favorite metalish singers. There are a few more, but... 3:52 AM... thinkin' ain't my bag.
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm, ones that have grown on me...

Well (believe it or not) I didn't like Jamiroquai when I first heard them. But I was about 13 (young and foolish) and I was into the whole Blur & Oasis thing. By the time I was 15 I was well into Jamiroquai though.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never been able to and every time I've heard it since, it has sounded worse and worse!! ;)
  4. Los Lobos!

Im realy enjoying them!
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

But I am starting to appreciate the traditional I-IV-V songs of all stripes. Rock, Blues, C&W, and POP.

I NEVER thought I would be playing covers either, but it beats staying in the basement.
  6. murdoc

murdoc Guest

Dec 18, 2002
    Boise, ID USA
    I couldn't stand Taproot or Thursday when I first heard them, but now I love both of them.
  7. the smiths. they're definitely the band to whom my attitude has changed the most over time.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    yeah... by tolerate I mean... I pretend it's not there. ;)
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One artist that I tried to get into, couldn't and then later on just really clicked with is Tom Waits. I originally bought Bone Machine and didn't really care for it. Then I heard a couple of other things and didn't really get into it. When I finally heard House Where Nobody Lives and Hold On off of Mule Variations though those clicked and then all of the sudden his more obscure stuff became quite enjoyable to me as well. He's such a great, timeless artist.

brad cook
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The first time I heard Cake I was annoyed. The second time I did a 180 and I still dig it.

I used to hate Billie Holiday's voice, now I really like it.

I used to hate Zamfir and his damn pan flute and I still do.
  11. I hated argentine folk and andean music. Now I really enjoy most of it.

I didn't like Rush when I was a kid but now I like them a lot, of course, but still dont like geddy's voice.
  12. I used to not like hip-hop, but i still dont like most of the stuff i see on mtv.
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yea, MTV and other channels transmitting music for masses and their "mass culture" if you can still call it culture...:rolleyes:. Now, i just sit in front of TV, puul out my bass and play along some songs I can put up with or of which I say "hmm that aint so bad as the others" - I play the bassline and do some little solos for practice and improvisational skills.

Now, back to the point, when I first heard Marduk, I didn't like the singers voice, but the music they were playing was good - by now they are becoming one of my favourite bands :) I got used to his voice and rather concentrate on the music now.
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I both agree and disagree:D I like them more and more (that's the agree part) but I have even heard much more annoying voices, too :eek: :D
  15. i used to not like glassjaw....i do now
  16. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Are you a sax player? I've always loved John Coltrane's tone, and I know it's considered 'bad' amongst the sax community. I always appreciated it for it's particular character, combined with the fact that he had monster chops for days... I can always tell John Coltrane immediately because of his tone.... like Miles Davis (and not just because of the harmon mute).
  17. I didn't like Hot Water Music much when I first listened to them. Now I like 'em better. Same with Tom Waits and the Pogues.

When I was a snot-nosed gazelle w/ goggles and eyes closed, I thought Ozomatli was a ska band, so I was kinda turned off when I bought their CD. Now, though, I think they're one of the best bands around.
  18. About Geddy Lee: just when I got used to his banshee wail, he mellowed out. I can still listen to the old stuff and some of the new but I would rather the high pitched squeal over the laid back style.

Always loved and do love Coltrane.
    My favorite of the horn players.
    Lester Young is pretty darn close.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Soundgarden is another one for me. I bought Superunknown at a yardsale and I was like... ehhhh it's ok. I listened to it again the whole way through and for about a month it never left my CD player. Great album. Great band.