Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iTrip (Nano) = Static all the time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Feb 22, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Has anyone else bought one of these and it turned out to be a pure piece of garbage?

I got this thing this weekend after having 2 tape deck adaptors die on me on 2 months. One by Belkin, the other by Griffin. So I decided, no more of those, I'm going to splurge and get the sweet wireless joint. Big mistake.:scowl:

I've tried every station setting and I get constant static. I've also tried different places in my car with no luck. I can still hear my music, but it sounds like I'm listening to an old record. Also the slightest movement results in either the static getting worse, cutting out completely or the radio coming through. :mad:

Obviously, I'm going to bring it back. But I'm beginning to think all iPod accessories are crap. Is it just my bad luck? Has anyone else had good luck with any particular connectivity accessory. All I want is to listen to my music in the car...without static. Is that to much to ask??:help:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    iTrip = crap. I eBayed mine after I got it.

I use a tape adapter. No fancy-schmancy iPod specialty adaptor, just the kind you get at Best Buy for like $10 and goes from the headphone out to the tape player. Mine's lasted me over a year so far, with no signs of fading.

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have a 3rd gen with an i trip and its pretty good. It has its moments but It's pretty dependable

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I guess I'll get another one. Sound quality is great with those...but I must have terrible luck because I had one last 3 weeks, and its replacement last 1 month.

i'm glad I didn't get the $100 road trip or whatever its called.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Next to a direct stereo line in from your car, tape adaptors are the best way to get your iPod(or whatever) to play through you car.

I had a $15 sony tape adaptor that worked and sounded fine. Really, all that wireless stuff is just bologna, expensive, less convenient, more likely to have issues. Though if 2 tape adaptors have broken, perhaps you have a problem with your cars tape deck?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I tried the FM radio signal device also. I got tired of switching the radoi station around all the time. There are so many radio stations nowadays, that it is hard to find one to use.

I'll be getting the tape deck adapter the next time I go to Target.

-Mike

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What about us poor souls with a radio/cd player in the car?
    I haven´t seen a direct input jack, unless it´s in the back of the radio...

I too am getting tired of the sound quality from my fm transmitter with the iPod :(

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Well, often times(most if not all times) car receivers have an auxiliary input even if it isn't in the front. This would require removing the receiver and connecting some wires in the back to run a lead out from the dash. Chances are if your car just came with radio/cd player, the receiver is still CAPABLE of supporting a tape deck, the tape deck is just not there. You could then use the tape deck input as a direct input jack with some simple wiring.

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

my friend keeps saying:

"there should be a rule stating that all speakers should have a visible standard jack input on the outside where it is accessible. and all players should have a standard jack output somewhere on the outside where accesible"

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thanks to the iPod this is becoming more common. It's still not there yet, but more receivers are being made now with accessible front inputs than ever. Heck, plenty of manufacturers even have iPod specific docking options that include steering wheel controls and track display on the deck.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, iTrip is teh suck. I'm not gonna bother installing a hardwired connector to my factory stereo ($200-ish) because I want to get rid of the car I recently bought - which will be enough of an equity snafu without an extra $200 worth of icing on that cake of regret. I got out of the CD habit so I tend to listen to just the one or two CDs in the car or remind myself just how badly radio sux. Meh, I say, meh! :(

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Wise words, wise words indeed!

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My FM transmitter from iRiver works fine, it should work ok if your car doesn't have a tape deck (my last car didn't, or else I would've used the tape adaptor). The iRiver transmitter plugs into your cigarette lighter and into the headphone jack of the player.

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Do those work with iPods? i thought they were for a different kind of mp3 player.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There's an iTrip hack that supposedly makes a huge difference in the signal strength.

Here's a link:
    http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/98944-1.html

Never tried it because I don't have one of those types of things but some guy on the Xterra forum was swearing by it. Wired aux input is going to be superior to any of these things.

brad cook

16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Lexus IS has a 1/8" aux plug. Perfect for an iPod, plus there's a little holder for it too. Get a Lexus. I'm getting one this spring.:hyper:

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You and I are both 18. You're getting a Lexus this spring? All I'm getting is B's at one of the rougher colleges in the States. Want to trade? ;)

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just about all these FM gizmos are crap.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't see why it wouldn't, it just plugs into the headphone jack. The iPod and iRiver are different players, but unless the iPod doesn't use a regular 3.5mm headphone jack, then it would work. But check out the hack that Brad found first, the iRiver job is $50 unless you find a good deal.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I use one of these with rather good results.....

[​IMG]

It's a great holder and charger as well. Range works really well....I ocassionally leave it on at work inside the truck, then bring my boombox into the house /apartment and tune it in to listen. It is $100, but it's well spent IMO.