Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its a great time to be an England fan

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    What a fantastic game against Uruguay, should have been 2-0, but thanks to a stroke of luck for them it was 2-1. Such strength in depth - coming from unexpected players. Carrick and Jenas both played really well. Joe Cole was the stand out player, and thats amazing considering the company he was keeping tonight.

Bring on the two warm-up games, and bring on Paraguay!

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Joe Cole was great, but also impressive was Peter Crouch.

But that was one great strike by the Uruguayan (sp?)

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I enjoyed that game very much. It did take England a little time to get it going though. What was the report on the guy that was taken off, I noticed they put an air cast on his ankle. Hope it wasn't serious :meh:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was quite depressing actually - Crouch is not an international class player - his goal was entirely down to Joe Cole's cross - but he is now going to be seen as the great white hope - whereas both Bent and Defoe are better players and have scored more goals at the top level!

Rooney played in Midfield or further back and gave no help to Bent, who was isolated and given no service !

Again Beckham did nothing except upset the balance of the side, which improved drastically when he went off and Wright Phillips came on - but Sven shows no sign of ditching Beckham as he really needs to, if we are going to do anything!! :meh:

Don't forget also that Uruguay didn't have their strongest team and haven't even qualified for the World Cup!! :(

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    The early report on Wayne Bridge was torn ligaments in the ankle. Not good. Still searching for an update.

Jeez, Bruce, put down the gun, it wasn't that bad. ;) Crouch can be a nice option in your 23. And I think you're a little harsh on Beckham.

6. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    It's good to be Italian soccer Fan too!!!
    4-1 on Germany :hyper: :hyper:

7. oh yes ! I've enjoyed it :D

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    USA beat Poland, I'm not sure if that is something to be proud of, but a win is a win.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Beating a World Cup Qualifying Euro team in Europe is always something to be proud of. But there is no need for the video of that game to be archived among the greats....

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Wow, hope not. There goes his World Cup year, if so. And, I agree. An ugly win is still better than a "galant" loss.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice victory to alleviate some of the pain Englanders are feeling from the loss of Peter Osgood.

-Mike

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, that's true in a comptetive match, but is not the case in a Friedly match like this, where the result is irrelevant and it is all about picking your best squad and getting players used to international level ...

On these terms I thought it was a total failure for England and shows why Sven and Beckam both need to go, before England will fulfill their potential! :meh:

13. I'm with Bruce on this one. I thought it was pretty dismal.

And how many times are we going to have commentators getting excited over the prospect of a David Beckham free kick? When was the last time he actually scored one? They've been few and very far between in recent years.

14. Yes it is, Poland actually aren't a bad side.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Then horray for the USA team.

16. so to sum it up

it's good to live in
    italy, england, america or the netherlands(we won too)

and it's bad to live in
    germany uruguay poland or ecuador

I think that sounds about right :D

j/k but for the dutch it is always nice to see nemesis germany lose

we did play a pretty **** game though

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm not too sure about who I'll support this WC. I'm considering The Netherlands, but than again, naaaaah. :D

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dude, that strike was total luck :p

19. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Wow, swap a few proper nouns and a bit of sports terminology and you could totally be a Canadian hockey fan. You should hear some of the water cooler GMs going on about our Olympic team.

-Nate

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bruce - I disagree with you :)

Crouch has turned both games against Argentina and Uruguay around when he came on, he is difficult to defend against and makes space for other players to score goals - Just look at the Owen goals against Argentina.

I really really dislike Defoe - he really isn't an international class player IMO, just not got the touch.

I agree that Rooney was out of position and had a quiet game.

I agree that the side was better with SWP as an attacking option over Beckham.

I didnt find it depressing in the terms that we showed great strength in depth. With 8 of our regular "first picks" off the field after 55 minutes, we still scored two goals. I thought that Carrick played very very well in the holding mid-field role and showed himself to be much more efficient in this position that Ledley King.

At the end of the day, this was a 2-1 win against a strong and technical side at international level and this cannot be discounted.