1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

its a guitar I know but I need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluetiejeeper, Dec 12, 2006.

1. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    bought a better guitar to kinda mess with. this thing is in bad shape when it comes to the body/paint. I I am going to repaint the entire body flat black, my guitarist step dad is a cabinet maker so I am going to have him laquer the back of the neck, and the rest of the guitar is going to be flat black, including the head stock. Just wondering if their could be any problems with that. I am pretty mcuh going to replace everything but the bridge, since it came with that, already have a new tail piece and tuners. porb going to start sanding it down pretty soon and get it down to bare wood. This is where the questions come in. Is their anything special about painting wood like this. Ive painting plenty of other stuff before just wondering?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293522
    you can see pics of the guitar here^.

Thanks for all the help.

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Depends on what you find once the wood is exposed. First of all, if you are sanding by hand use a sanding block. Repeat: use a sanding block. If you simply fold sandpaper and sand with your hand you will put dips into the surface. An SG is flat on the front and back.

When the paint is removed look at the wood. If it is a porous (think Oak/Ash) or stringy (think Mahogany/Luaun) then the wood will need to be filled. The easiest way to accomplish this is to brush on multiple coats of vinyl sealer. It can be found at the home centers in the paint aisle and is usually marketed as "sanding sealer". Brush it on, sand it off. It will fill the pores and grain. One of the cool things about vinyl sealer is that it dries in ~15 minutes if the humidity isn't high. May take a little longer on a wet day. If you skip this step the grain and pores will "telegraph" or show through the finish. Nothing screams amateur more than this mistake. You want the finish to be flat black but you also want the finish to be flat.

If the wood is maple, which is doubtful, this step can be skipped. If it is a laminate you may have to do the sides of the guitar.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I don't understand why you're going through all the work of getting it down to the bare wood if you're going to paint it flat back.

Seems that just a sanding and filling any dings and dents would suffice. Flat black is the most forgiving color that you could use, so far as any imperfections in the wood.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Good point, pkr2. On a guitar in this price range that's the way to go. Auto body filler does a great job on the dings and dents. The O.P. is talking about getting it down to bare wood. Sometimes people change their minds when they see the wood and opt for a trans finish. My answer is based on that. However, your method is superior given the instrument.

5. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    My main concern right now is getting it where everything is flat. more feather edged, their still come laquer on the body that needs to come off. I will be sanding it down on sat night after work so Ill see how it goes. got the pickups on order now just to finish the body, put in the nut and wire it up. sounds so easy

6. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    Whatever you choose to do, just remember to take your time.
    Slow and careful = :)
    Impatient and hasty = :bawl:

7. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    got it nice and smooth today. Will hit it with a block on sat before I paint it. I didnt realize how much of a paint laquer is to get off.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Black shows every fingerprint and mark. Flat black is worse - it shows every greasy spot as well. It won't stay truly flat (as in dull) for long. But if you like a manhandled look, it's a good choice.

Personally I love black instruments. Not flat black though.

9. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    I Think now Im going to have my guitarist laquer it, he is good with doing cabinets and has done a couple of guitars that have come out nicely. still going to go with black and dimond plate pickguard to match my jazz bass.