Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's all about looks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Balor, Dec 31, 2004.

which design to you prefer ?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2005.
  1. body 1

121 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. body 2

75 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Hey everyone, I need help on a small design matter. I'd like to know which of these shapes you like better. As you can see, there both singlecut and are basically the same. I really not sure which one I prefer though. This will be an 8 string bass with a novax fretboard.

Attached Files:

2. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I like No. 1 but they both look great.

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I agree, #1 looks the best but as Kris said, they both look great.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I like #1 as well. #2 reminds me of a warrior.

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    They're both nice but I think #1 looks a bit more stock. #2 is more original. I would go with 2.

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I like #2. I like the shape of the lower bout if that's what it's called.
    I think the combo of the lower bout on #2 and the cut of the upper non cut away section would be cool. I hope that makes sense.

7. I like the single cut design of the first one but I also like the body design of the second one....combine the two...keep the single cut design in the first pic and combine it with the body of the second pic...lolol they're both awesome though..

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    the back end of # 2 and the front of #1

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    My thoughts exactly. I like SC's where the upper 'horn' meets the neck at a perpendicular angle without 'curving up the neck'. I also like the lower body design of #2...

[​IMG]

10. + 1

11. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Hey everyone, I need help on a small design matter. I'd like to know which of these shapes you like better. As you can see, there both singlecut and are basically the same. I really not sure which one I prefer though. This will be an 8 string bass with a novax fretboard.

Attached Files:

12. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm really digging option 3.

13. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I must admit that I did not expect so many answers in so little time...! :) thanks, I really appreciate this. about that option 3 AJ... don't you think that JP would have sometnig to say about this...? It really does look like a plume singlecut don't you think?

thanks again for the feedback
    PL

14. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I don't know, you tell me. Here's a side by side. I think your option #3 has smoother lines.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    judging by those nice sketches, you would probably know better than i would, but the second body shape looks like it would balance better with the even distribution of the weight for the body? just a thought...but i guess you could always compensate for that in your headstock design. good luck!

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Both are nice but to me the scooped bottom is starting to be over used, so I vote for #1.

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    For looks alone, I picked 1. It looks smoother while #2 looks kinda "blobby" to me.

18. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    i think number 2 would fit better with the novax fretboard (supposing your bridge is not straight, hence à la dingwall)