Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its all about Quantity not Quality anymore!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassturd, Aug 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The SVT I own was built around 1976 - 77 and is the MOST versitile head i've ever used in my life so far. I have played everything from Blues to Heavy rock n roll and this thing never ceases to amaze me. It has two channels split out to four inputs (two for each channel). I don't think there are any other features I wish this head had because it's simple and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the modern day heads have. I use this amp for practice and playing shows from bars to large venues and never have trouble hearing myself (watch any 70's music-video and look what the bassist is useing...Ampeg!). Heck, the Rolling Stones used it for bass and guitar when the SVT first came out! It has been a thorn in the side of any guitarist I have ever played with since it's 300 watts of pure tube power.

What happen to the quality of amps today? Many people believe that these new amps are so much better than the amps in the past but they are so wrong. I know the SVT weighs a ton but as i carry it i mutter to myself "I Love the Tone, I Love the Tone" The new SVT classic out on the market is cheap and lighter but the sound doesnt even come close.
    Fellow Vintage SVT Ampeg owner please let the public know and share your experiences....

2. Hmmm. Some people actually LIKE the sound of modern amps, like a 2-cab stack with Kevlar speakers, and a digital preamp and a 450 watts PA power amp (this is my setup). It's all a matter of taste. You guys will probably hate the sound my rig has, because it HAS no sound of its own. It's a HiFi rig.

I'm someone who likes to think ahead (into the digital era) instead of look back (to the tube era). And I feel fine. As long as you don't dismiss my taste as being a fool.

Yep, amp models are nowhere near the original. But it allows me to play one song with an SVT-tube-like sound, and the next one in pure brilliantly clean HiFi. Talk about versatility.

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Why is just about EVERY factory produced thing sold declining in quality?

That's just the way the world goes. Companies get bigger, things are manufactured on assembly lines, and compromises are made to make things cheaper.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's why you should save money and buy from smaller companies. :)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm supposed to take someone seriously who's nic name is bass turd?

ok. :rolleyes:

oh, and i'd be willing to put my aguilar db-680 up against that svt in a heartbeat.

6. Anytime John. Believe me, any amp against my SVT will surely lose.

Everyone who said that the digital age is in have no sense of their roots. Sure, people say that they like the sound of newer amps and the quality. To these people I label them as naive :oops: Sure these new amps are cheap. My ass is poor and i saved up for my SVT. Saying the words "its a matter of taste" is an easy and relative response to make without having a good argument to back up their position.
    I have yet heard someone say a good argument why the new amps are better than any vintage models.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, sound (imo), weight, design, signal-to-noise ratio, versatility, power, effects loops, etc.

This sounds too like "it was all better in the good old days" whining.

I probably wouldn't buy a new Ampeg either (for different reasons), but to generalize that is utter nonsense.

And vintage doesn't equal good, in fact most or at least a lot of vintage gear can't live up to the hype of salesmen and so-called gurus.
    Not every pre-CBS fender rocks the house, same with Marshall, Ampeg, etc.

I more a member of the 'make today's music with today's gear' faction.

And it's a little funny when somebody who wasn't even born in the 70s talks about 60s/70s roots.

If you really experienced that era you'd be probably glad those times were over and gladly use today's equipment.

8. the quote:
    Well, sound (imo), weight, design, signal-to-noise ratio, versatility, power, effects loops, etc.

remember u guys are bass players. why do u need effect loops? It amazes me now 'n days how bass players want to sound and act like a guitar player.

Damn, industrial rock

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Effects don't mean you sound or act like a geetarist. Remember Bootsy?

And you can use it for more than distortion. You can use a DI there, tuner, etc.

Do you really think every effects loop owner likes industrial and is a frustrated guitarist?

Don't be such an ignorant snob. Please.

10. The coolest sounding setup I've played through was my old roommate's stereo system. Full on audiophile, and the sound that came from it was the richest, fullest sound ever. Just my opinion

11. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Well, my view on the subject is this. I believe that cabinet design as come a LONG way from the old days. I agree that the power coming from a sealed 8-10 Ampeg is a force to be felt and heard yet the new cabs these days with portability in mind are simply amazing.

As far as amp design, most modern mass produced tube amps will not touch the build quality of the 60's and 70's units; I do my own tech work and it's almost impossible to work on these flimsy PC boards that most manufacturers use. Now there are exceptions but they're mostly boutique and esoteric (albeit very good). I've never seen or heard an Aguilar but I'd love to (custom Toroid trannies in a tube design; Alex Aguilar must know his stuff)! I can say that the early SWR Redheads were built road tough but I don't know about the new stuff. Never had a problem with my Eden amps. The Hartke amps are a different story, I've heard of real horror stories; the new ones may be better? JMHO folks

TAPP

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Haha...funny stuff. What are you basing this statement on? Clean sound? Distortion sound? I may hear your '76 Ampeg and say that the tone from my Fender BXR-60 is Fifty zillion times better. Does that make me completely and totally wrong (probably so, but just listen)?? No, it doesn't. My BXR-60 might have the perfect sound for me(it actually doesn't, that would be my Sunn 300T, but you get my drift), while your Ampeg may have the perfect sound for you.

OK, so what you're saying is that it doesn't matter what *I* like, it's all about what other people (mainly you) say is best, right?

The reason that any new amps are better than vintage models is because the buyer LIKES them. Sure, they may buy a "cheap, new amp" because they don't have the dough, but looks to me like good ol' JT can have just about whatever he wants in the terms of bass gear, and he chooses a new (oh my!) Aguilar.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "any vintage models"? you've got to be kidding, most "vintage" models were poorly designed pieces of crap. you're talking about one of the better older amps by talking about an svt - surely you're not trying to say that "all vintage amps" were better than any modern amps, were you?

dude, i guarantee that i could afford about 10 of your amp for the price of one of my basses. every old svt i've ever played sounded like crap - too thick and noisy and stiffled high end, including supposedly "hotwired" upgraded amps. then again, if you want to sound like the "led zeplin" guy, maybe that's what you're looking for.

still, though, good for you, dude. more power to you. i'm glad you found your ideal tone.

lastly, don't you mean "corporate rock" instead of "industrial rock" :rolleyes: i mean, industrial is skinny puppy and stuff like that, and they distort and effect all kinds of stuff, not just bass and guitar.

man, i forgot why i don't come over into the amps forum that much. :rolleyes: :D.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, blues to heavy rock n roll. well, that certainly covers the versitility spectrum right there.

man, someone shoot off an email to john patitucci, let him know what he's missing.

:D

15. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Never before have I seen so many :rolleyes: in one post.

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That's called making a buck and it's what our economy is based on. ;)

I run a small clothing company out of my home. When I started it, I calculated my costs and determined what I needed to charge for my product, not only to pay for the raw materials and production, but to make a buck doing it. As I have been at it for over a year now, my next step is to find a way to make the product cheaper, in order to increase that profit even more.

It is unfortunate that quality sometimes goes down when the numbers go up, but as Oysterman said, buy from the smaller companies before they get too big.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That was the quote that got me, too.

Maybe we're witnessing an "Accidental Troll", that rarest of gnomes;). This is truly some ridiculous stuff.

I tried SVTs back in the 70's when I started playing. Tried a few since, even owned a nice one for a week. JT pretty much summed up my sonic experience with them... muffled. If anyone digs SVTs, cool. I don't... but I do believe in peanut butter, maybe I "am" naive:eek:

I also disagree about the quality of what's available vs. the good ole days. Way more choices, for less. Yeah, that's a bad thing. I use a 13 year old SS head weekly, when was it supposed to break?;)

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I play through a Carvin RC210 with a Carvin 18" ext cab. I am damn happy with how it sounds. I have not played through your paticular setup but I have plugged into quite a few new and vintage amps in Hollywood while shopping for equipment.

The Ampegs that I have played through sound pretty nice... but still, are not my cup of tea. Your taste is not mine. It's a big world out there and you, just like the rest of us, are just a spec in it. Get over yourself.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee! yeah, that's a record. geeze, my eyes hurt. :D

20. quote:
    That's called making a buck and it's what our economy is based on.

HateGear
    you just made me realize something and that is your just a corporate whore like every other music manufactorer.
    I also found out that everyone on this thread are sensitive people and can't listen to a persons opinion without your putting your two-sense into it.
    Peope, relax especially you ol' timers.

As far as people saying that the 60-70 svts sounding to muffled...you guys must have been playing with some messed up cabs or the tubes on that thing weren't biased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.