Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it's ALL about the looks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassheavy, Apr 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

ok well maybe not all, but if it doesn't look fresh, i don't want it.

there's a reason the jazz bass is more popular that the p-bass, and it ain't because of the neck thickness.

if it doesn't look cool, i find i am not as inspired to play it.

to slag BC Rich for their radical designs is conservative idealism at it's worse

2. hey, this guy's right! I mean, I like my P-bass, but I personally think the body style is damn boring. I'd much rather have a J-bass body.

Now, I would never buy anything that doesn't catch my eye. I know it's wrong, but that's me.

3. I "slag" BC Rich for its weak tone, baseball bat neck, and the fact that you cant sit down and play it, it cuts into your chest.

4. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

well, maybe the beast, but i find all other models to be very comfortable.

are you of smaller stature? that might be yr problem.

and i don't know where the weak tone comment comes from. BC's are just plain FAT.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno...You figure if a bass company is going to give us a wild bass, they should have the goods to back it up (IMHO BC Rich doesn't). But when a bass is wild to attract people, then it's never a good thing.

Me? I'm only a little superficial. If a bass is phenomenal, and looks ugly? Ok, whatever, I'll keep it. If it happens to look good, it's a bonus. Spectors, Warwicks, Pushics:)D) are a bonus....

6. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

you can't judge a manufacturer by off the rack models. to truly see a masterful bass, try and checkout an american made custom shop BC.

peerless.

spectors are fresh but *** is a pushic?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pushic? Oh..that was a little gag there...Dave Pushic is luthier in the "Up and Coming" bracket. He's gonna make me my custom bass here in about 6 months or so...

And yes, you can't judge by off the rack models, but so often, that' all you can get. One must (I would say, in my opinion, not fact) judge a bass company by it's common product. Sure, BC Rich would really soup up a good bass for you, but you could also get a regular type Pedulla, and it's off the line might be just as good as the Uber Rich, see what I mean?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That and this whole thing is opinion, so what does it really matter?

9. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

of course it's all opinion.
    no argument there.
    (pedulla's are nice indeed)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

BC's are not my cup o' tea, although their custom shop models are pretty nice.

I would rather play these. And by the way, yes indeed Pedullas are nice. I love my Rapture 5.:)

[​IMG][​IMG]

But HEY! To each his own, right?;)

11. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

sweet ass zon there chief.

have you played their new lightwave series.

I prefer the pentabuzz to the rapt, but fresh nonetheless.

12. embellisher

Totally different bass, the Buzz vs. the Rapture.

The Rapture J2 5 is IMHO the ultimate 5 string Jazz bass, except perhaps something like an Atelier Z(drool!).

Buzzes are nice, but I picked my Sonus Custom 5 over a Pentabuzz. Much more versatile IMHO, especially with the piezo bridge.

And yes, I have played the Lightwave, they are very cool.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm partial to conklins. :D

14. embellisher

You would be. WHORE!;)

15. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i think conklin made a big mistake putting out that groove tools line.

people on this board might know what a real conklin is, but a new bassist going into sh*tar center will see those and think they are the real deal. i feel they should have had more brand awareness before introducing their imports.

16. I have to disagree. I think it's a great first bass, and it's fairly reasonably priced for what you get. Everyone that's picked it up has fallen in love with it.

I didn't know that much about basses when I bought mine, but I did a lot of research before I chose it, and I knew that was their machined line. I don't think you can beat the playability, sound, or looks in that price range, unless you buy used.

When I'm ready to get a high end custom bass, Bill will be building it for me. I love my Conklin! :D

Lisa

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they are the real deal, at least as much of the real deal as a korean made bass sold for <$1000 could be. they are directly patterned after hand-made prototypes, westheimer (the company that makes them in korea) spent 2 years perfecting the GT's before they met bill's standards - he even had bill bartolini specifically design a preamp to be used with the bart pickups on the GT7, all for less than a grand. those basses are awesome, and a credit to bill. they certainly blow away any other high end luthier's import models that i have ever seen.

as for it being a mistake, the reality of the situation is that it was a brilliant move on bill's part. before the groove tools, not too many people knew who conklin was, now he's got his stuff in every guitar center around the country - much higher visibility. he's had many orders from GT players wishing to upgrade to a custom (like lisa :D), that may never have happened without the GT's.

in fact the GT line is so successful that bill is introducing a Rocco Prestia signature 4 string GT, Marco Mendoza signature 6 string fretted and fretless GT's (with some incredible bartolini electronics stock) and a 5 string Light Wave GT. as well as a hollowbody 8 string jazz guitar and a couple of 6 string guitars. this should all be before the end of the year.

the only downside to them is that many people play them in the store before someone buys them (since they are so different) and the strings and batteries tend to die quickly. in every Guitar Center that i've ever gone in that stocked those basses (13 around the country) i found the GT7's that they had to have dead strings or batteries, or both. playing a killer bass that has dead strings isn't exactly very exciting.

if they were smart, GC would only have one 7 string on the floor, and keep 3 or 4 in the back, away from twiddlers, for the serious potential customers.

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    : paging nino and mr dead, paging nino and mr dead :

19. I can understand that, but not everyone at $3,000+ dollars to plunk down on a first bass. Not only that, but very few beginners know what they're looking for. I, personally, am still wading through pickups, EQs, and other options to figure out what I want when I have my custom built. The GTs feel great and are easy to play, and are an excellent alternative to some of the other basses in that price range. It may be an import, but it's build very well, and it's extremely solid. I had my hands on a lot of other basses before I bought this one, and it far surpasses anything else I touched for that price.

Lisa

20. embellisher

I smell a deleted post, but the quote in Lisa's post don't lie.

And FWIW, bassheavy, the Czech Spectors blow away a lot of semi boutique stuff. And the Conklin Groove Tools are the best Korean stuff on the market. In case you haven't noticed, there is some killer stuff coming out of Korea these days, much like Japan in the 80's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.