Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's all new to me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lordcow, May 30, 2001.

1. I've decided it's time for me to become all musical and everything and decided I'd like to give the bass a go cause of all the cool basslines going around. I've never really played an instrument much (been playing an old acoustic 6 string guitar for a few months to make sure it wasn't just a phase) so I don't know a lot. I've been looking at Fender Squire P-Basses because I like the look and feel of them and they seem to have been suggested a lot here. Am I on the right track? I'd probably be getting it as a package with a Frontman amp for about $750 (Australian $). Sound like a good idea or should I be looking at something else entirely? Oh yeah and I'll probably be playing mostly Punk for starters but I'd like to be able to knock out some funk lines and whatever else catches my ear
    Thanks for the advice
    -gareth

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you are serious about playing punk with a band, you will need POWER from your amp -- I recommend at least 200 watts and a 15" speaker. And make sure the amp puts the power into the ohms of the speaker. That is, an amp that is rated 200 watts at 4 ohms will put 200 watts in to a 4-ohm speaker. The same amp will only put 100 or 125 watts into an 8-ohm speaker, and since most speaker cabs are 8 ohm, you have to check things out.

The Squier bass will work out fine, but that 25w(?) Frontman amp is gonna get lost with a drum set. It makes a nice practice amp, but for playing out, you generally need 2 to 3 times the power of the guitar amps.

Good luck, and just GO for it!