Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Its all too hard!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PICK, Jun 30, 2002.

MTD535 or Modulus Q5

Poll closed May 31, 2003.
  1. MTD535

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Modulus Q5

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Still get a JT inspired 7 string Conklin!!!!

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Some of you may remember my post about Modulus and Sadowsky.
    Im over the Sadowsky but MTD has now become an option. So what do you think?? Modulus Q5 or MTD535????
    Im sure most of you will say 535 but why???
    I want everyone to be a salesman!!

2. -other

"Sadowsky" :D

Out of those two though, I would go Modulus (w/ Barts) probably.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As you can see, I own an MTD 535. I had a Modulus 5 stirng about 13 years ago. While the Modulus models have changed a lot since then, the inherent sound of a graphite neck has not. IMHO, it has a very clean, articulate, sterile tone. In the warmth and growl department, the graphite necks may be slightly lacking as compared to wood necks.

I have a lot of a respect and admiration for the graphite neck because of its positive qualities (very stable and not affected significantly by temperature and humidity changes, no dead spots like with wood necks).

After balancing all the aspects of each, I have to go with the MTD. Michael Tobias' selection of woods for the necks and bodies of his basses usually result in a great tone.

Ofcourse, I would suggest that your try out each bass if possible. This is just my preference. Everyone has different tastes, and the Modulus may actually be the one for you. you won't know unless you try one yourself.

Good luck and best wishes in finding the bass that's right for you.

4. Is this going to be your primary bass? If it is, of the two you mentioned I would probably go with MTD. (Actually of the three you mentioned, I would go with the Sadowsky ;)) Most of the Modulus I have played have a distinct sound that I really like, but I also want a more traditional tone which I had a difficult time getting on my Modulus.

For the music I play, I would always want a bass that can nail the jazz bass thing and then a bass or basses that have distinct voices. Modulus is a great option (for me) in the "distinct" category.

Good luck!!
    Jeff

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep it will be my primary bass. I play mostly metal so im not really after anything traditional sounding.
    I want something that has a huge presence that cant be hidden. Also something that can find its way through a very full sounding band.

6. Well, they're really apples and oranges. I've owned the Modulus, and currently have an MTD. If I were doing mostly metal, though, it seems like the Modulus might work better, especially if you play with a pick, so I voted that way.

They're very different, though--the Modulus has fairly narrow spacing, while the MTD has wide spacing, and the Modulus has a sort of "hard" sound with lots of sustain that's very consistent, while the MTD (wenge neck) is very "woody" and growly, and very responsive to different playing "touches", but it does cut through very well. The "feel" sort of matches the sound--the graphite neck on the Modulus has an extremely solid, consistent feel to it, almost like a piece of military hardware, while the MTD with the oil finish on wood has a much softer, more resonant feel to it.

They're both great basses, but you should definately try them out for yourself if possible. In particular, if you haven't played a graphite neck before, you may find that you love it, or that it does nothing for you.

Mike

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I tried an all graphite status once. It was very light. I didnt play it throught an amp unfortunatly. I dont use a pick anymore!!

8. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Why don't you consider Zons?

Personally, I believe they are "warmer" than Modulus's and you get the wood vibe that the MTD's have (although Mods are very nice looking in the wood department as well). And they have the benefits of the graphite necks, and are about 2/3rds the cost of MTD's. I can't say my basses sound sterile at all.

Here are pix of mine:

http://www.peterduncan.net/Zon_Family.jpg

One thing where mods might be better than Zons though is that they offer more fingerboard materials. However, tonally, and feel (Zons are 34" while Mods are 35") I like the vibe of Zons better.

-pd

9. If we get into the whole "why don't you consider X..." thing, there are lots of other options, starting with two of my favorites, Wal and Curbow...

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What made you get over the Sadowsky?

What you just described is exactly what I get out of my Sadowsky's.

Ive played a few Modulus Quantum 5's w/barts & EMG's & they were really nice. I personally like the EMG's better.

I haven't had a real chance to play an MTD. One day I gotta go down to Rudy's & make a point to play all the ones that are there.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, about the Zon, I know that Paulo uses one in Sepultura

Personally, I'd go for the Modulus. Given the nature of metal it stands to reason that the cleaner sound would be a better way to cut through the super distorted guitars. The brighter, more sterile tones would be in greater contrast then the growl that a lot of wood basses really enjoy. Of course, I'm a huge modulus fan, so I could be biased.

12. Quantum with Barts

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is a Modulus Quantum. Try em with both the EMG's and the Barts when you get to BC.

I am currently using mine in two different settings:

1. A classic-modern rock band. 2 loud guitars and a loud drummer. Playing everything from Skynyrd to the RHCP to AC/DC to Tool and about everything in between.

2. A country/rock band. Male and female vocalists, acoustic guitar, lead electric guitar, fiddle, keyboards, mandolin, and drums. Playing everything from old country to modern country, and classic rock to some 80's type stuff.

My Quantum with Barts sounds great, cuts through without being "too much", and gets any tone I need with a little tweaking of the EQ. It always sounds like a Modulus, it has a very "signature" sound, which I happen to love. As long as you arene't after the traditional/vintage tone (which it does not do, it has a much more modern sound), I think it will work for you.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Here is a pic of mine, by the way:

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Musicman

16. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd be one half-assed salesmen to say Modulus right away. I've never played an MTD. I have played a slew of moduluses, owned 3 at once! They are in my opinion the finest basses I've ever played in my life. They sound phenomenal, they play great and they are impervious to weather conditions.

From what I hear of MTD, they are amazing. But here's my beef with them:
    1) Barts
    2) Price is super high
    3) Never played one... no one in Cleveland carries them.

If price is an issue here's a few confusing points:

Modulus basses are about $2300 + brand new and resale for the same bass is about $1400 to $1800. If you were buying new and didn't like it after a year (yeah right), you'd be screwed. But if you buy a used one, you can still sell it for about the same money (and a note... I've never payed over $1000 for one).

MTD are really expensive and rare. They are like PRS was in 1994 (for guitars, at least). People want them, but can't get them because they are backordered. And since Mr. Tobias is not a moron, he takes his time and does things right. Well, a new bass could cost you $3000? $4000? If you chose to sell it though, you'd have a line out the door with people who'd pay a $#!tload for it.

Noodle that one for a while...

17. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    wow thats a nice one.

18. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Modulus all they way, I'd go with barts though, the Q5s I've played slapped excellent with emgs, but the tone felt abit empty.

:)

19. If I could afford it, I would go for the MTD definately..

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would do the conklin. :D