Its all true (about New Standards that is)!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ben Rolston, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, yes it is. Anyway, I went down to Cincinnati this past weekend to Nick Lloyd's shop to get my New Standard Cleveland. A huge amount of material has already been posted on this topic so I'll try to keep it brief. First of all, like many other people have said, when I got home I found it impossible to put down (I did have dinner quickly though). I ordered the bass with Spiro Mittels (red tops and bottoms right?) because they are the string I have the most experience with.
    Although the bass still has the new string sound, the tone is just as deep and full as the 10-year old Englehardt I have been playing on (this is really only surprising because it's a brand new bass with brand new strings), in truth actually surpassing the Englehardt. Now, the Englehardt I have had is actually quite nice for an Englehardt. Numerous people have complemented me on its sound while playing and my teacher insists that it's easily the nicest Englehardt he has ever seen, heard or played. The sound I get out of the open D string on the Englehardt is the sound of my dreams; the cannon type sound.
    What do I discover when I get my New Standard home but that every note up and down the fingerboard has that punch and clarity I only got to taste every so often on the Englehardt.

I really feel like I couldn't possibly have spent my money any better. Also, I did a recording session today for some auditions and it sounded great (not like a new bass at all). I may post some clips when I figure out how to reduce the file size of the songs-because they're too big at the moment.

Thanks to all who made this bass happen. Especially, Arnold Schnitzer, Wil DeSola, and Nick Lloyd.

Ben

Pictures are attached:

Attached Files:

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    agreed very lovely bass!

3. pjwolf

pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    That is one beautiful bass! Congrats!!:smug:

4. Geeeezzzz Ben,
    That Cleve is beautiful, what is the finish on that rascal. It appears to be a bit more shiney than mine and I really like the way yours turned out. Yeah, it's an amazing bass ain't it? Enjoy it brother.
    Jim

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    As I heard Marcus or somebody else say: "Welcome to the big sh*t-eatin' grin club!"

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    [​IMG]

oh.

You mean about the basses...

That's true, too. Congrats!

7. Ben Rolston

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks all,

Man I really need to see Blazing Saddles again, its been too long.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It's probably Nick Lloyd paint.

9. Ben Rolston

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, Sir

10. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ok, I'm sure we are all a little sick of hearing how great these basses are but...

I went to Arnolds shop today to try one and must say that I've never played a plywood bass with a bigger or more musical sound. It was strung up with brand new spiros (a real deal breaker for many basses hoping to sound like anything other than a giant sitar) and I found it to be completely playable and even, gasp, bowable. I actually spent more time bowing it than plucking it. It was a real pleasure. I was impressed that, though it is big and I am not, I had no problem getting around the instrument comfortably. The fit and finish were top notch and the whole instrument had a balanced, solid feel that is completely absent in so many plywood basses. Take my word for it, it doesn't get any better.

11. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    WELCOME TO THE NEW STANDARD CLUB. I HAVE A LA SCALA HYBRID, ALSO VIA NICK LLOYD. I LIKE THE CLEVELAND TOO, BUT LA SCALA WORKS A LITTLE BETTER FOR ME. IF I HAD THE MONEY I'D GET ONE OF EACH, AND MAYBE EVEN A FULLY CARVED LA SCALA!!--OK I'M GOING OVERBOARD, IT'S A FUN IDEA THOUGH. I'VE BECOME A NEW STANDARD JUNKIE. EVERY HOME SHOULD OWN AT LEAST ONE.

12. PatrickC

PatrickC

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Just got my LaScala ply yesterday. I'm amazed a ply can sound so good. The bottom end is especially impressive. And this thing has some volume!

I bought this as a backup bass for when my carved bass is in the shop, and for outdoor gigs and the like, but I can't seem to keep my hands off it.

Was gonna try it at the gig tonight, but ended up subbing it out to go see Edgar Meyer.

Special thanks to Chris F, rdwhit and Nick Lloyd for answering all my questions. And Arnold and Wil couldn't be more pleasant to do business with.

13. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    congrats on the LS Mr PC. I know your gonna love it. Rob

14. PatrickC

PatrickC

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks, Rob. Inspired by Edgar's performance last night :)eek:!), I pulled out the bow and have been working on some Bach for the last couple of hours. I know plywoods aren't supposed to sound good under the bow -- and I'm certainly no expert on the subject -- but this thing sounds pretty **** good to my ears...

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021