Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's almost here!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stachio, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Well, my Zon Lightwave is finally on it's way here, unless UPS interferes. Can't wait. It looks gorgeous. Only thing I regret is the amount of dust my other basses are going to be exposed to.

Unfortunately, the pic I have is too big. I'll see what I can do when I get it.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Cool.:cool:

Of course, we will expect a full review and pics once you get it and have a chance to check it out.:D ;)

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    funny how we'll both have a hotrodded MIM Jazz AND A LW ZON.

although, i just replaced the Jazz with an MTD Kingston fretless 5.

let's just say, tonight, the JAZZ is keeping me warm by the fire.

F J !!!!!!!

;)

f

4. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks Fred. Your pics of your LW actually pushed towards being a Zonbie. :D
    After a few unfortunate events, I received the long awaited Lightwave.
    Joe Zon is a master in the aesthetics department. This bass has such an elegance. It took about 10 minutes to take it in taking it out of the box. I seriously wish I could post a pic at his point, but apparently my attachments are too big, so if somebody could help me post these, I would be ever thankful. The wood--Sycamore-- is quite unusual and I'm sure I've never seen it on any bass before. Joe explained to me that he rarely has access to Sycamore large enough for a top. This type of wood gives the bass much warmth but it still has some cut. Soft maple is probably close to it sonically. The figuring is pretty unique (AAAAH pics!!!!). Acoustically, you know you're about to get something sweet. I hve some problems calibrating the bridge but I decided that that will have to wait until later. Plugged in...silence...no 60Hz hum. The low end on this is crazy but it's extremely clear, even the B string. That's just with the EQ flat. Just add a little bass boost and you can forget about bowel control. Joe upgraded the electronic just before it was supposed to be shipped--FREE OF CHARGE!! The mid sweep with cut/boost is almost the most drastic thing about it. Piezo is nice but I generally steer away from it too much. The amount of sounds out this blows my mind. The slightest subtleties in playing change your sound completely. All this in about 8 lbs. of wood and graphite. I'm not even sure what instrument I've been playing for the past decade.
    In conclusion: I need help posting one of these pics!!

5. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    I'll help U post them if U want... I too just got a Zon lightwave and love it... actually I got rid of my other basses and am playing it exclusively... Here's a pic of me and my baby
    pic

Let me know if you want help hosting it...

-Prof X

PS check this out too!
    zon users group

6. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's see if we can link to it. :)

[​IMG]

8. embellisher

There we go!

That is the first sycamore instrument that I have ever seen.

Warmoth had a couple of sycamore bodies in the thrift shop a while back. It's one of the busiest looking woods I have ever seen.

That doesn't look bookmatched to me.

Is it a full top, or 2(or more) pieces?

9. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Well after another close inspection to make sure, it is one piece. That little black mark towards the end of the bass is sort of misleading. It is pretty busy though, and I understand that it probably wouldn't be everybody's first choice. I like it though...it kind of has that leopard skin look to it. I just need a cane, a feathered hat, and a glass of Courvoissier to complement perfectly :) .

10. embellisher

:p

One thing about it, you have a very unique Lightwave. I've never seen a sycamore top Zon of any kind, and I'll bet that it will be a long time before we see another one.

Different is good.:)

11. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks :) . It was actually going to be burl Redwood (sound familiar ?:D ), but then I saw this one...

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    how much does somethin like that run?

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fetless+Zon=:)
    Fretless Zon+Lightwave=:D
    Lightwave Zon+sycamore=:eek:

I think the math speaks for itself.

14. embellisher

Yeah, sounds familiar all right.:p

[​IMG]

I own the first redwood burl Sonus Custom, and you own the first sycamore Lightwave!

15. I agree! Beautiful! You'll love the Lightwave.

Congrats,
    Jeff

16. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Fretless+ZON+lightwave+Summit TD100+euphonic VL210= :eargasm: but there's no icon for that :p

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    *Bassmonkeee doing his best to compell Stachio to come to the Atlanta Get Together*

That thing is Amazing. It looks like a test for a computer printer. I have only played one lightwave bass, and I loved it. The bass I am planning after my 8 string Curbow is done will be a lightwave 6 string fretless Curbow. drooooool...

Congrats on the nice bass. So, what time are you gonna show up to the Atlanta Get Together? Wear the hat, but leave the cane at home. :D

18. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Definitely. When and where? I'm not sure if I feel worthy :D.

LOL. And that's exactly how Joe put it. Same result but better sound IMO.

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hambone's having a get together on May 11th in Snellville. These things happen every 6-8 months, or so, and they are usually a blast. This one looks like it should be exceptionally good, as there will be lots of new basses. If everyone shows who has expressed interest, we'll have everything from Jt's 8 strings, to SilvermanZ's Warrior 15 string, to my 8 string fretless Curbow (if it's done).

All we are missing is you and your new Zon Lightwave. :D

Here's a thread with more info:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=503964

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh...I thought the same thing as Joe Zon........cool..... :cool: