Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

its another reccomend an amp thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by apoodangle, Dec 31, 2003.

1. i need a 200 watt, 1 x 15 combo. i was looking at a Genz but it uses that bridged preamp so it's more like a 100 watt amp if you get an extension cab.

price range: under $750

i play um almost anything... funk, jazz, black/death metal, et cetera. so a fairly uncolored tone would be nice. i should add that i hate ampegs. and i'm currently using an Essex jazz. i just need something i can play small shows on, i have several bands waiting for me to get a real bass amp and i wanna play some shows already.

2. ok so now its down to a Fender Bassman 200 and an SWR workingman's 15. suggestions?

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    When you use an extension cab, the power amp splits-- 100 watts goes to the internal speaker, and the other 100 watts goes to an extension cabinet. Without an extension cab, the combo bridges the amp such that full power is going into the internal speaker.

Most combos are designed such that when the combo is used standalone, only part of the power of the amp is being used(most of the time, the internal speaker is 8 ohms), and an extension cabinet(lets say another 8 ohm cabinet) is needed to bring out the full power potential(assuming the optimum load of the amp is 4 ohm).

I can't understand why you wouldn't want that. Clearly, you want the most power the quickest if you are just getting an amp now for gigging, and the Genz will provide it in a more meaningful way than other 200 watt combos- the full 200 watts is going into the internal speaker, giving you more power than other 200 watt combos that don't have the stereo power amp.

4. ah, all is revealed.

thank ya much good sir, looks like i shall be getting the genz after all :D

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I myself prefer the SWR Workingman's 15 from your short list. I have played them, and I have owned a Workingman's 12. I have nothing but great stuff to say about the Workingman's 12. I gigged with it as my primary amp for over 300 shows, and it was quite the practical and portable rig. It got the call over my big rig at the time, a Trace Elliot 7210, for most situations. Not becuase of tone, but because of portability. The Workingman's series is really a nice combo amp for the price. It really gives you a clean and uncolored sound. Plus, you can use out of the all wattage that it provides. Some amps will break up if you crank the gain or master past a certain point, but my Workingman's 12 would still stay clean even with the gain and master cranked. I was considering the 15, but opted for the 12 because I'm lazy and wanted a lighter and more portable rig.

I have played the Bassman 200 and heard it in my friend's band, but never owned one. I like the fact that it has a mute switch, recessed handles on the sides, and a sweepable mid. It's not a bad amp at all.

I have no experience with the Genz, so I'm not much help in that regards.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Of course, I'm gonna recommend the Yorkville XM-200, and use that extra money for either upgrades to the Essex, an extension speaker, or whatever you want.