1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It's another 'what bass should I buy' thread, but a little more focused

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Apr 3, 2006.

1. OK, I will soon be buying my first 'real' (not starter) bass. I would like some advice.

I want a fretted 5 string, and I've got an absolute top end of £800 (for those of you outside of the UK try a google search of UK prices, but think around US$1000).

The other main consideration is that this will be my only axe for atleast a year and, while I play in a rock/metal band, I need something that I can get a lot of tonal rage out of. I don't want to get too limited too quick.

I'm currebtly looking at the Warwick Corvette Standard 5 and the MusicMan Sub 5. I know that I need to play them and get a feel, but as a relative newbie there is only so much that I will learn (in terms of tonal range, mod-ability, etc) from a 20 minute jam in the store.

All help will be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

2. Well just this weekend I acquired a fine MIA Fender Jazz V - and I absolutely love it! Gets a wide variety of sounds - plays like butter - simply a fantastic, all-around instrument. You may want to see if you can hunt down a used MIA Fender Jazz V.

--tz

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. Another option would be a used Bongo 5HH (if you really want flexibility in tone) or a used Stingray 5. People say the 'ray is a one-trick pony, but it has an amazing tone and can cover a fairly wide range of sounds.

4. I'd definitely go for the Corvette 5 - I feel it's the most versatile of the two.

Alternatively, you should be able to buy a new Corvette $$ 5 for less than £800 if you want more beef than a regular 'vette, and the series/parallel switches make for a very versatile platform!

Personally, the Sub doesn't quite give me the MM magic that the Sting Ray does - I've only played one, but it felt quite "plastic-y". Of course, the Warwicks also look much cooler ;)

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nowadays isnt 800 pounds more like 1500 US$ Then again basses cost differently in general over there, so retail wont be the same.

Perhaps what sells here for $1000 would sell there for $1500.

6. I don't think that the Stingray has alot of tonal diversity, per say, rather that its range of sounds fit just about anywhere. You can't make a 'ray sound like any other bass. But you can make other basses sound like 'rays. I've heard that the dual humbucker version of the ray is much more versital. Try and check that out.

I know that MIA Jazz Vs are versital, especially with an active preamp thrown in. A nice range of different sounds. See if you can find a used MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 string around somewhere.

See if you can find a used Peavey Cirrus , or maybe a Spector Rebop. Both are great sounding, looking, and feeling basses, with lots of tonal diversity. And they are far from beginner basses.

EDIT: Also, a warning about Warwicks. Don't order one unless you've actually played it. Warwick necks are huge, thick, and fat, and to me, very uncomfortable. It may be the same for you, maybe it wont. Just make sure you actually put your hands to it first.

7. Thank you so much for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

I've heard that the Warwick double buck is all but impossible to slap on. Is this true?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, not at all.

9. I can't imagine this being true. I don't like Warwick necks, but I can't see how even that could affect your slapping, and I know with the double 'buckers the tone wouldn't be off when you slap.