1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It's arrived! My NAMM bass is here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    My wife said I need to make up this graphic to properly announce the arrival of my new bass...

:hyper::hyper::hyper: It's arrived! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

[​IMG]

2. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Some better photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Kind of disturbing. Nice bass though, I really enjoyed looking at the NAMM pics of the guys playing it.

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Stoked for You....Thats great.

5. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    OH MY!!! :hyper:

6. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Congrats! She's beautiful. I enjoyed all the NAMM pics as well. Very Cool idea!

7. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    That's a serious spread across that bridge! Too many knobs and strings for me.

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Glad she survived. Kind of nerve-wracking to see/know your bass is on display and that a 7.0 earthquake could hit LA at any time :D

9. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Now the specifics...

This is a limited edition replica of Alain's Caron's Fbass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only 9 were / will be made, and my bass is 7 of 9.

Yes, I've been made aware of the significance of "Seven of Nine" by other TBers, and that just makes it even cooler for me. :hyper:

These 10 basses (Alains and the 9 limited edition replicas) differ from Fbass's usual BN6 configuration....

Body Wood. The LERs are made from basswood instead of ash. This makes them lighter (mine is 9.4 lbs), and gives them a natural "scooped" tone, so they sound more harpsichord-like than a BNx (ash body). They still have a solid low end, obviously if you've heard Alain's tone, but are "a whole different animal."

Preamp. Also, instead of George's heralded preamp, the LERs use a Seymour Duncan preamp which is brighter and "quicker." Also it doesn't just boost, it cuts, and it has a "mid shift" which I think makes it very interesting, especially given the scooped nature the body wood gives it.

Controls. The LER is volume / pan instead of volume / volume like most Fbasses. That's going to take some time for me to get used to on this bass.

Pickups. The Limited Edition Replicas have p-bass style split coil pickups.

Fingerboard. The LERs have a smaller radius (rounder) finger board.

Extras. The LERs come with strap locks, gold hardware, a scratch guard and a reversed headstock.

Additionally, my LER has a finger ramp built between the pickups.

10. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Laughing! Ah, Alaska is much more seismically active than California.

I'm having so much fun getting to know this bass -- but I guess you are doing the same with your new Fodera, right?

11. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    [Laughing!] Yeah, I guess it is. Lucky for the stork, the bass is just 9 lbs, 4 oz. Unlucky for the stork, I weight considerably more! :meh:

12. Well. It's about damn time. Someone FINALLY gets the P pup arrangement right! IMHO,I think a P pup sounds sooo much better with the B-E-A string pup behind the D-G-C pup. Nice.

13. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    suweet!! enjoy it!

14. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks, guys. It's fun to have people here who can relate and share the joy with me.

15. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    HA!!!!! That's AWESOME!!!!

Congratulations!!!:hyper:

16. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Congrats!

17. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    This is my first bass with this pickup configuration, and I like it. I'm glad I have the clear finger ramp in between the pickups though; I'm sure that helps my right hand get used to the pickups underneath.

18. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    The opening pic is hilarious laughing7.

The bass pics are gorgeous icon_thumright.

19. Congrats man it looks fantastic!

20. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The dual P set up is my all time favs...Congrats, don't forget to pay attention to the wife...