It's baaaaaaaaack (depression)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Pills are gooooooooooooood.

4 vote(s)
  2. Drugs are Bad Mmmkay

11 vote(s)
  3. You should just start drinking, it makes life easier.

2 vote(s)
  4. Shut the hell up, and stop whining!

10 vote(s)
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sorry for starting one of THESE threads, but I feel like real crap right now. I use to have hardcore depression, and I am once again dancing in and out of it. And due to the fact that things are piling up on me college wise and whatnot, I'm often more depressed than not as of late.

I went on Zoloft for a while, it worked, then it just stopped working. Then it made me really sad that my happiness was coming from a pill (I know it's not really the case but...). This inspired me to stop taking pills, and I felt great. It was fantastic, real happiness, not even happiness, I felt normal. Something I hadn't felt in 3-4 years. It was amazing, but now I'm slinking back into depression.

Background info: I should be by all standards a metally healthy person. My parents stay together/love each other. I was never beaten, normal childhood. I had problems, but everyone had little problems, you have to deal, nothing traumatic though.

Now: I constantly want to sleep, I'm sad unless I'm happy which is often artificial. But I still have fun, and I get happy so I'm not as depressed as I was, but I feel I'm getting worse.

I do often feel suicidal, it comes with the teritory. But I'd never act anything out. I'm so subserviant to others, the fact that it would emotionally kill some people, I could never do it.

Once again, I apologize for doing one of these thread. I'm sure I did this last depression bout as well. Sorry.

So what do you think (see poll)?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    STFU N008Z0R1@!%@^@!^@^&@$&^#&#^#!~!~!qe sfhesgsaSAFGSAGAJLSGHOWAHT;OI2

K???!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? THX!

ok... ha ha. im funny.

I dunno dude... maybe your just used to being depressed so your tricking yourself into depression... who knows? Do what you need to do.

and stfu.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One thing I forgot to mention is sometimes I like depression. It's very inspiring. I create my greatest art when I'm depressed (music or otherwise). But then again, when it's finished, I'm usually like "This is ****ing stupid" then trash it. That is to say if it emotionally displays how I'm feeling. Because I'm a coward.

But on the plus side, that means I'm not going to throw on thick framed glasses, tune up the accoustic and start whining. Horray. :meh:
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't know why, but at this moment this makes sense. :confused:

It's sad because I feel ultra trendy being depressed. It's the new cool thing. :bawl:
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    So be punk and be happy, tool.
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Dude, I can say that I know how you feel. I'm not saying its the same thing, but it sucks nonetheless.

I'm in college too and work is piling up like crazy. I haven't turned into the social person that I was hoping I would when I came to college; instead, I'm even more of a hermit because of all my work that I feel I must do well on. My parents are constantly nagging at me and are having marital problems. My (now ex)-girlfriend is giving me hell in every aspect of my life.

Anyhoo..yeah. It's not fun. The only thing you can do is just focus on the positive things about college (when you have time). Just remember that you *will* survive, and more likely than not, there are a lot of people going through the same things you are going through right now.

As for the drugs--

I say no way. I don't believe that they are "happiness in a pill," but I don't believe they are beneficial in the long run. There are a lot of reasons I don't believe this, both scientific and speculative, but that is a whole story within itself. Just my opinion.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    sorry to hear that matt :(

if it makes you feel any better

Jerpsie poopsick

from the bottom of my heart :)
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Drugs are bad, mmmkay. Honestly, it sounds like you are going through some pretty common stuff. I felt that way at your age (and earlier) as well. The romatic depressed person, comfortable depression, etc. Tragic. As I got older, I realized that I was making myself tragic and miserable. It was all me, and it didn't do me any good. The sad part is that anybody who gave me advice I wouldn't listen to, no matter how much sense they made. It just didn't soak in. Eventually you just have to make up your mind to make a change in your outlook. Perhaps that will come it time. Don't turn to drugs to reach that conlusion.

I'm 26, by the way, and I have been an overall happy camper for about 6 years now. Woo! Hopefully you will come out of it soon. Play bass, write a song, stare at the stars, go betting at a chicken drop. Happiness exists in these things.
  9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am diagnosed with Bi-polar (manic depression). After trying about 10 different combinations of different pills for around 4 or 5 years, I found that Tegretol and Paxil really helps. I am being totally serious here- depression can lead to a number of things- including suicide. Do yourself a favor and try to get some help. I know how you feel, and it sucks. PM me if you need to talk.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have been on just about every wonder drug on the market. what i have found out is the side effects are just not worth the end results. i have been able to keep it under control just by self realization. "things are bad, but they will get better." attending church has helped alot. i know that seems cheesy, especially coming from an ex agnostic. but i realized that the reason i had suspended al belief was a hatred and anger in myself. when io let that go, i got a sense of peace back. another thing i do, when i get home from work and i feel REALLy bad, i start acting goofy, as soon as i walk through the door. i do my "daddy's home"dance and play with my daughter.
    think about how much better we have it than alot of other people in the world. even in our darkest hours, we have a roof over our heads and food in our belly's. if you ever need to talk, i am a pm away. btw i am diagnosed bipolar, and borderline ocd. hope that helps.
  11. depression is a very individual and complex thing, driven by a variety of causes, external and internal. while it might be helpful to get input and feedback from others in a similar situation, i hardly think you should come here for pro opinions.

you need a professional evaluation, and professional opinions on how to best treat your depression.

i come from a long line of depression/bipolar/schizophrenia/suicide, and i can tell ya... it ain't fun. but there is hope.

for some people, medication really helps and leads to a newfound level of contentment and productivity. for others, it creates more problems and side effects. i think if you are a severely depressed person, medication coupled with therapy and a major diet overhaul can work wonders.

i personally had very good results with st. johns wort, the herbal supplement. i also was given paxil, but got a lot of stomach upset. like you, i was hesistant to take a drug to feel normal. but in the final analysis, st. john's wort is a drug, too. it's really a matter of what works for you and gives you the least side effects.

lots of things can ameliorate depression, like exercise, watching a funny movie, spending time with little kids, but i don't think it's healthy to try to mask depression by 'forcing' yourself to feel good. i think it's important to acknowledge one's depression and deal with it in the best way. like stomach aches, depression is our mind/body way of telling us that something is not right with us, and we should address whatever the problem is.

when i feel myself sinking, i talk about what's on my mind [even though that's illegal in some parts ;)], and when i feel too blue to carry on, i just sleep until i get tired of being curled in a ball. I know what is going too overboard for me, in terms of "dropping out;" you will find your own comfort level of what is "par for the course" depression and what is depression that is preventing you from living a normal life.

talk to a good psychopharmocologist. don't self medicate. talk to them about your sitch and let them help you find a solution that works for YOU. also, talk to your parents. a lot of depression is hereditary. they may provide some insight into either their own depression, or other family members who had problems with it.

all the best to you, and know that you are not alone in this -- zillions of people have the same problem!!

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Wanna know what I do when im depressed? I go and brutally beat young children and the elderly. Then eat a banana.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm already feeling a little better. I think I just kinda needed to vent. It's just the things that are bothering me aren't college related. It's just me filling my own head with self doubt/negative thoughts.

This helps a lot, and one thing I keep forgeting is that this is how I got over the last battle with depression. I just took a huge breath and said to myself, this is retarded. Why am I being like this when I have no good reason? Then I just filled my head with happy thoughts, forced a smile and I felt a little better.

When I feel depressed, I just keep tearing myself apart inside my head, I just need to realize that I'm my own worst enemy. I've had back and forth arguments in the mirror and I've always lost. It's weird I do it without thinking. He always has a clever cutting remark and wins the argument hands down.

I'm going to avoid pills (sXe 4 LiFZ!!!1) and hopefully things will clear up over thanksgiving break. The semester is almost over and I've only got one class I'm terrified of failing. That's better than last semester! :D :D
  14. I am on Zoloft now and i know that it is not a pill that will change my life around or anything, i just now that it is meant to help take the edge off of the depression...the rest is up to you. I Personally hate the idea of hapiness in a pill but so far it is working for me and would rather be on the pill to help me get better than feel the way i did for so long.

I hope whatever you do works out for you but there is no shame in going on the pill again.
    I respect someone who is willing to do something active about their depression.
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Depressed eh?

I got just the thing.

GA HA. Damn thats funny.

Just trying to help out, my mom is manic depressive, I know it's no fun. Get better stupid.

16. Oh man, that had me in tears:D :D :D
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Regarding the ever-so-popular seratonin-reuptake-inhibitor class drugs:

* I know one person who began taking them and his whole life changed for the better. Several years after this transformation, things are still going very well for him. An unqualified success story here, if you will.

* I know another person who has been diagnosed as needing this medication. This person (in his mid 20's) and his parents both see resorting to drugs as a weakness and feel that his problems are something he needs to face up to without drugs. He has alienated all of his friends and acquaintances, including me. I've totally given up on wanting to have anything to do with this walking piece of human misery.

* I know a third person who probably has a marginal justification for taking these drugs, but who *in my personal opinion* is taking an easy way out of dealing with her problems by getting a doctor to write her a Rx. I am suspicious of her need for these drugs, but on the other hand, I can't point to any problem created by these drugs, so I hold my opinions to myself in her case.

BTW, I voted for the pills. Hope things work out for ya either way, Matt.
  18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well lets start with the obvious.

If I recall you are a late nighter, irregular sleep patterns, lack of physical activity, too much video games,probably dont eat well etc.

Well these are all causes of physical and health problems, including depression.

If you are not resting well or taking care of yourself, then do so immediately.
    Eat better and take vitamins, lay off caffeine, exercise and most important get on a good sleep pattern. Give it a few weeks and see if you feel better.

For me this is what cures my blahs, and helps with s-t-r-e-s-s!

Look at the immediate obvious problems before resorting to taking a pill. If we all took the questionare they have in the Dr's about depression. Most of us would be popping pills. IMHO
  19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

20. yes, the red X will solve all. :D

but seriously, depression sucks,i know a girl who is manic depressive and its pretty sad sometimes. get better dummy, er stupid :)