1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available It's back! The most beautiful G&L JB-2 you'll see today-or ever. Top-tier upgrades/pro setup/VIDEO!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Jun 6, 2020.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hi Talkbass!

I have gone a little quarantine bass-buying crazy lately. Somehow I ended up with 3 G&Ls in as many months.

This beauty is a G&L JB-2. A really really REALLY nice G&L JB-2. USA made of course. I would love to keep this one but I'm realizing it's sort of redundant. I bought it because I'm a sucker for a Jazz bass with a P neck - and this neck is the most beautiful buttery playable P neck that ever existed - even J neck fans will rejoice upon touching it.

But ultimately, my FBass BN4 can do everything I need in the world of Jazz bass tones. That being said, I wouldn't be that heartbroken if this one stays with me. I'm really just putting this out there to see if anyone would love it more than me.

JUST LOOK AT THAT RED. I never loved red basses until I saw this. The flame top and maple binding are the icing on this delicious bassy cake.

Specs, per the previous owner:

-1.75" nut
    -7.5" fingerboard radius
    -Transparent Gunstock Neck aka TGN
    -Beautiful tight grained ebony fingerboard over rock maple neck
    -The frets feel like vintage stainless but I'm honestly not sure of the material or gauge
    -Tusq nut
    -Scraped/Bound top AAAA Flame Curly Maple over Swamp Ash
    -EMG J Pickups (I don't have the originals, sorry)
    -Recent pro setup by Drake Custom Bass
    -Recent fret dress/level by Drake Custom Bass
    -Brand new SIT Strings NR45105L Medium Light Power Wound Nickel Strings
    -VVT Passive EQ
    -Dunlop strap ends
    -Rectangular black tolex G&L hard case included

Not sure of weight but it's pretty much perfect. I would guess in the mid 8 lbs range. I can weigh it for interested parties. It has some minor surface scratches on the body but has overall been babied. By the serial number, I am guessing it was made sometime between 2004 and 2007.

Trades? Maybe. Feel free to run anything by me. Fretted only. 4-string only. No 1.5" Jazz necks. Don't really need a P-bass or variant. Something like an EBMM Stingray Special (most recent line) H or HH or a modern G&L L2000 (different color than the one I'm selling, please) would get my attention.

I tend to be polite-but-picky in my responses. I've owned over 100 basses so I know what I like and don't like, but, at the same time, I'm on the G.A.S. train for life and enjoying the ride. There have been times in the past when someone has offered me something off the wall that I would have never considered and I ended up buying or trading for it and loving it!

Not currently available for sale. in the lower 48 USA. I am open to fair offers.

Pics were taken a few weeks ago in the Drake Custom Bass shop while he was doing the setup and fret dress/level. I included one picture from the previous owner took by his pool because the bass looks so cool in natural light. I've also included a couple videos of me playing it - all taken in the last couple weeks. I've had fun experimenting with cheesy video filters and effects lately so...theres's that.

Videos:

If you were old enough to listen to music around 1995, then you know this bass line, lol:

jb-2 drake.jpg jb-2 drake2.jpg jb-2 drake3.jpg jb-2drake4.jpg jb-2 drake5.jpg jb-2 drake6.jpg jb-2 drake7.jpg G&L pool.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. Arch58

Arch58 Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    OMG you have the nicest collection of G&L’s!!! This won’t last long!!!

TimBosby likes this.
  3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks, Arch! You know how, after you list something, you start to second-guess youself immediately? I'm kind of having that feeling now, but we'll see :D

woodyng2 and Arch58 like this.
  4. Arch58

Arch58 Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I get that feeling almost every time lol

TimBosby likes this.
  5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Holy hell, that is my dream JB-2 down to every last detail (minus the pickups). Color, top, binding, face dot delete, neck profile... :drool:

can you hang onto it for a few years while I save up...? :wacky:

woodyng2 and TimBosby like this.
  6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Are you a car salesman by any chance:woot:
    That is a looker!! GLWYS!!

TimBosby likes this.
  7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Lol, no :D

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  8. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I remember seeing the poolside picture from the previous owner’s listing.
    That’s a gorgeous bass! The ebony fretboard is one of many nice extras.
    GLWTS.

TimBosby and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Super. If it was the 12" radius board, I'd be slobbering - and I don't even play 4-sting much. Dotless ebony is the jam, and this is perhaps my favorite G&L model. GLWTS.

TimBosby likes this.
  10. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn Supporting Member

Beautiful bass! GLWTS!

TimBosby likes this.
  11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    She was sold on Reverb yesterday BUT the buyer backed out today after I spent most of yesterday's lunch break boxing it up and used up most of a roll of tape. :rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno:

So....she's back... and ready to go, in a box, in a hard G&L case (which was supposed to go with my green SB-1 but yesterday's almost-buyer requested it with the JB-2. :rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno:)

I'd rather sell to a Talkbass member anyway!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    moreblues likes this.
  12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Here's another video. If you were old enough to listen to music around 1995, then you know this bass line, lol.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Taking this down. I've had a couple of deals go south on my recent listings and I'm a bit soured on selling basses at the moment. I'm going to keep this beauty for now and reevaluate things.