1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

it's been 15 months...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i ordered my hartke LH500 15 months ago, and i had picked up my GK Neo 112 ll just before that. and i never thought i'd say this, but i love my amp and cab. they make my basses sound great! i thought the hartke, having no parametric eq or movable mid point might not have all the control over tone i like, but actually they 3 knob setup makes major tonal changes. and unlike some amps i've owned, you can play this one was quietly - like middle of the night quietly - and it still sounds great. and since it has an effects loop, i can use it as a power amp and get virtually any tone i want. which i rarely do.

maybe a month before i ordered my LH500, i had been playing through a carvin bx250. very transparent tone, not as much bass as i like. i really disliked how it sounded, but i must admit that it sounded better the day i picked up my GK neo 112 ll from another TB member - that cab makes everything sound better, and when played with a head i love, it's as good as it gets for me.

i haven't suffered G.A.S. for an amp or cab since. sure, i occasionally think about getting something smaller and lighter - the elf or MB500 - but no reading on TB or trips to guitar center or sam ash have left me obsessing over an amp or cab in 15 months. it's a unique situation for me :D

wave rider, JimmyM, deathness and 4 others like this.
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Welcome to Hartketown ;)
    20170213_155306.

Wisebass, jwindham and pcake like this.
  3. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    You are one of the lucky ones! For some, the vicious cycle of selling and buying amps and/or cabs... trying to find "that tone", never ends. Congrats!

pcake likes this.
  4. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

The LH500 is probably one of the best SS amps I have ever owned. I am currently running on 2 tube amps but I have been contemplating picking one up for a back up/practice amp. I love the simplicity of the EQ and how easy it was to dial in a good tone without fiddling around with the knobs much. The tube pre amp gave it a nice warmth as well.

dbase and pcake like this.
  5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I went that way with a GK RB400. I bought it to have as a secondary amp, and paid very little for it, not expecting much. I was totally blown away by the sound and it's been my main gigging amp for the last three months or so. I just can't seem to find a way to make it sound bad. I use GK cabs too so it matches well. I still plan on getting a TE Elf as a backup, but I'm impressed as you are with your Hartke. It cool when you find a piece of gear that really works for you. I have a few great amps, but the little GK hits all the things i need done. There will always be the newest thing just around the corner, but why get it if what you have is getting it done?

Good for you!

wave rider, pcake and jwindham like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi pcake :)

As someone who plays a lot of live jams (open stages, house partys...= unknown backline :()

I hate to play more with the eq, than with my bass! Folks will leave when you fiddle to much.

So plug in and rock is the only way to go! Looks like you found an amp that does that :bassist:

The Hartke has a tube!!!! (I don' t kill pigs on stage :D but I like some preamp "boar grunt" on "cheap sunglasses" :cool:)

just my 2 cents

greetings to Californiayeeeeey

Wise

pcake likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very cool! LH500 is a sweet amp. A little unique with the tone controls, but it's simple and gets very good sounds. I don't know that I'd call 20 lbs prohibitively big, either. I've lifted heavier.

Wisebass and pcake like this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    to be fair, GK fusion heads have a tube and they weigh a LOT less than the LH500, but what can i say? i REALLY like my amp.

greetings from Californiayeeeeey *waves*

Wisebass and wave rider like this.