Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's been a while...what's new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Hey all, it's been a while. How's everyone doing? :cool:

Anyways, my band has made the move to a full-time touring band, and I've been playing a ton. Unfortunately the more I play, the more I am becoming unhappy with my current rig. (Interstellar Overdrive + Carvin DCM1000 + SWR Goliath Sr.) The IOD seems to bring out all the characteristics of my Warwicks I don't want to hear and mute the ones I do. I think my tastes have changed to want something a bit cleaner. I have recently gotten the Aguilar bug and spent a lot of time with a DB680 last week, which blew me away. I am about to sell my IOD and pick up a used DB680, but I've been away from this board for a long time and I know new stuff comes out all the time. So has anything come out that would be worth checking out before I go for the DB680? Something that sounds the same but costs much less? Something that costs the same but kicks the crap out of the DB680?

I dunno...help me out here. :)

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    people say that the aggie db659 sounds pretty different from the 680. i've never tried the 680, but i used to use an IOD and after a breif stint with an ampeg svp-pro i now use an aggie db659. its great! It has a thicker tone than the IOD, doesnt get harsh like the IOD when you solo the bridge pickup, and the EQ is very smooth through and through.

the overdrive is different from the IOD, but its still satisfying, and the effects loop features are all you could ever ask for (sans footswitch)

anyways, i think you'd like it. good luck!

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    jason, hey what's up, man! long time no post ;) two preamps that i would check out if i were you are the eden navigator (not sure that i would ever get rid of mine) or an ashdown rpm-1...there's an octaver on the rpm that i really don't care for, but at about the 10%-15% ranger, it fattens up your signal pretty significantly...neato if used sparingly...i think there are a couple of read purity preamps hanging around used now, too...that's a clean guy right there if you're into clean...you can't go wrong with the aggie, though...they rock

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    YES. That's exactly my problem with the IOD. I hit an open D and it just sounds like a buzzer to me. I'm running everything pretty much flat (just a little bass boost) because it's just not possible to remove that honk from it with the EQ it has. I have the drive control set so i'm nowhere near driving the power tubes into distortion.

The thing sounds ****ing HUGE when I play in rock bands, but it's just the wrong sound for a funk / r&b band I think.

5. mad.mick

mad.mick

Nov 21, 2004
    Usually, SWR amps sound less harsh and buzzy with a better preamp tube, preferably a NOS 5751 like GE (read about) or Sylvania (have one myself). Be sure to get a triple mica, others might be microphonic. Also, the Sansamp RBI helped me a lot with my SWR 750x, where i use it in the FX loop. Since the 750x is a little bright sounding, i turn down the treble on the RBI significantly, and since the RBI is a bit mid-scoopy I dial in some mids on the SWR. My sound is a little SVT-ich, but smooth and not harsh or buzzy at all, quite clear but deep, thick and punchy with a little natural compression and not much grind. If I want that I switch on the overdrive of the 750x, which sounds less buzzy now as well. I suggest you give it a try. Triple mica Sylania 5751s go from $20.00 to $80.00 and the RBI for less than $300.00. Also you could always use one of the RBI and IOD as a backup, in case the other one fails.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I reaaalllly like the eden navigator. Lots of eq-ability, and dirty is something it really doesn't do. You'd have to get an outboard pedal for that if that's what you want. The di is nice too. You can usually find them new on ebay pretty reasonable.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1 on the Eden navigator. awesome pre, I got instant "it" tones when set almost flat. Used it primarily when I was in an R&B funk dance band. Great slap tone. Can't go wrong it with Eden overall.
    My Demeter HPB-1 pre is more open sounding, less colored, than the Eden with an even cleaner clearer open midrange.Just a flatter cleaner more polite tone overall.

However it lacks the emphasis in the low mids, or punch factor that the Eden brings to the table. This was also the consenus from the guys behind the PA mixer out front in larger venues.

(I tried and stayed with a GK1001RB-II head because it brought the best of both scenarios together for me. Punchy, thick, clean,open, clear, bright-good slap tone, flexible, etc) good luck.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you're not locked on a pre/power setup:
    Thunderfunk!

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for all the help. I already have an AMP BH-260 and think it's okay but nothing awesome, so no Thunderfunk. I also have a Carvin DCM-1000 that I plan to be buried with. It's taken so much abuse and hasn't done anything but provide tons of loud. :)

I replaced all the tubes in the IOD with JJ/Teslas a while ago and it made a big improvement, but I still think it's time for a change.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i see you got the db 680...sweet amp ;)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey jason,

the DB680 is a terrific preamp, and IMHO, will do that smooth hifi tone you're looking for. did you have a chance to fool with the parametric EQ? its really powerful, and hyperbole aside will help you find ANY tone you seek. but it is REALLY expensive.

the Eden is a little too gruff / woolly to me, and with the warwick, might be too much so, IME. the Demeter is another good idea. more open and airy. but if you want smoother than butter on a hot day, try an Alembic F-1X. much sweeter and relaxed than any of the preamps, not to mention smooooooooove.

btw, thought about a cab upgrade? ;)

and another btw, that "Higher" song on You & Me is mad nice! nice feel and groove. nice british modern soul feel. and you can never have enough Fender Rhodes... :cool:

12. Sorry I cant offer any advice, but do you have any problems with the SWR IOD driving you poweramp? I'm interested in this preamp and was a little turned off when I read about the preamp not being hot enough problem. Thanks