Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's been a while

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lenorules1950, Jul 16, 2005.

1. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Hey everyone... it's been a while since I stopped by so I thought I'd come back and say hi... I've got some new gear since I was last here, including an Epi Les Paul bass (one of my GAS items) :hyper: Anyhoo, I was wondering if any of you could help me-

The band I play in recently recruited a new guitarist. We were jamming at his house and apparently this kid's dad was a musician as well- hanging on the walls of the house was tons of cool gear, including a Warmoth Strat, a Memphis Les-Paul style guitar, an old-school "doghouse" of unknown vintage and a 1930s Gibson archtop- but what caught my eye was this bizarre looking old Ampeg bass guitar. The body shape was vaguely reminiscent of a Fender Jaguar, it had 2 large F-holes that went through the entire body, and it had a scroll-shaped headstock. The thing weighed a ton, too; but the balance was perfect and it was so nice to play. Does anyone know anything about it based on my description? Thanks for any insight :)

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Only thing that comes to mind for me is an Ampeg Baby Bass...

-Ray

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    sounds like an ampeg scroll bass...there's a guy named Bruce Johnson who makes replicas of them, he has some info on his site:

http://www.xstrange.com/