Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's been nice knowing you all...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 24, 2006.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... because I'm dead meat.

BartmanPDX PMed me about a really cheap buy-it-now Tacoma Thunderchief fiver on the 'bay. It's one of those factory seconds, with a small finish flaw. Under $600 with HSC and high-end Fishman.

I did it.

The frying pan should arrive shortly.

I'd better get moving on selling toys to pay for this!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You can handle the frying pan, it's the fire that's a b*#%h!

Congrats. Btw. Remember: It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. ;)

3. Dang, nice score. Thats a great deal on one of those. You know we need a review. Ive been thinking about getting a acoustic for a while now.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, if you get it and need a place to stash it, I live close enough that you could drop it off at my place, and then come and visit the bass occasionally until the time is right...

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd say I'm sorry to have been the one to have caused this, but I'm not. :D :bag: You'll love having a Tacoma 5er. The price was just too low for you not to have jumped on it.

Use the couple hundred you saved to buy some jewelry and then . . . duck.

On the upside, I've always found that the lumps on my head go away faster than the GAS pains from basses I let slip away . . .

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    GREAT price. I paid 600$ for a used Tacoma 4 (mint), and considered it a pretty good deal. Actually, my little lady suprised me with it, but that's what she paid. Great bass. better woman. How does the B sound on these guys?

Anyway, those of you that have these basses... The relief on mine seems about right, and it's nice and very playable from the 6th fret and down, but any higher than that, and the string height gets pretty wicked. Any way I can adjust this?

7. You know the rules....

no photos...no frying pan :D

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Can you pretend like you've had it for years?

Otherwise...beg forgiveness.

Marshall

9. BartmanPDX

Hide your four-string Tacoma for a while and maybe she won't notice. :D

The B on mine is not the slightest bit floppy. It's every bit as tight as the B on my 35" scale Lakland.

The B string is not quite as loud as the E string, but it's really quite close, and still has great tone all the way down to the B.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's pretty close to my plan. It's identical in appearance to my Thunderchief four, so I'm planning on doing the old switcheroo...

Hot damn! I've wanted the five string version for quite some time. Since I switched from fours to fives I'm finding it more and more jarring to play fours - I've really learned to rely on that low B for hand position and as a rest.

11. BartmanPDX

That gives me a devious and rather dangerous idea. Just as I never notice when my wife buys a new pair of shoes, necklace, dress, etc., she barely notices what I'm playing when I play bass. Heck, I'd been playing my new Lakland for about five minutes in front of her before she remarked -- "Is that the new bass you ordered?" Believe me, it looks NOTHING like my Ric or Steinberger.

Betcha I could sneak in a Lakland JO5 or a Glaub as long as it was black. :D

One of these days I'm gonna really get in trouble . . . :bag:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just bought a bass recently, too. My wife didn't freak out too much. I am hoping that I can get a new amp sometime soon...

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you scared me to death with the thread title.especially after the medical websites i have been just reading. glad to know it's just you scoring a bass. congrats!
    ( dang, i must be getting old )

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

So just so your wife takes it easier, care to give me your tacoma 4? :)

15. What do you guys think a used Thunderchief in good shape should go for?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ken, you are like a brother to me. If you need a place to stash some of your gear, just let me know. Wouldn't want to see you get in trouble!:smug:

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So you went the forgiveness route rather than permission, eh?

18. BartmanPDX

19. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Man, I'm asking for permission to sell stuff that's already listed. I think that's a good thing. She's sayin' why? Don't.
    I just keep thrusting forward.

Must-achieve-player's-harmony.

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    without a wife, i can buy whatever i want !:D

now all i need is money.