1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It's burger time, children!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So i look and saw a bunch of threads on what you put on your burger. Who cares?

Better question is, how do you make your burger?

What kind of meat do you use? 80% 90%?

What do you like to put into the mixture?

How do you cook your burgers? on a bbq? deepfryer?

and well, other stuff you do to your burger.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh, as for me,

Meat: 85%

I take onions, garlic and hot peppers such as jalapenos or habanero, chop them up finely and sauté them. I also sometimes mince the mixture, I think it adds the flavor much more evenly then chunks. Chunks are cool though because people go "ooohh, there is jalapanos in this!" and you get better idea of flavor of onions. Sometimes i do half and half too.

put regular stuff in the mixture, salt, pepper, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and i like a little bit of sage, not much though.

Once all is mixed i add shredded cheese, preferably the bigger cut in it and mix it up again.

Always grill them, I live in Cali, why would you ever use the kitchen?

For myself i like Medium but well done works as well, still juicy.

EDIT: Also, i cook up bacon about 60% done and mix it into the burger, also cut very very finely.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    winter savory or " gtfoomk" [k stands for kitchen]

4. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Inside out cheeseburgers are the bomb.

5. One of these days I'm going to try a 50/50 (ground meat/bacon).

6. 85% on the grill i like to chop up unions and jalapenos and put them in the hamburger patties. then grill it top with cheddar and crispy bacon lettuce tomato pickle ketchup and mustard.

{off topic} anyone remember this game?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVTssi7FLd0

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh crap, forgot i put bacon in it too. Thanks for reminding me!

8. Buster Groove

Buster Groove

Jan 8, 2011
    The ground beef is always fresh, never frozen. Better flavor, texture and juiciness. No factory hockey pucks -- gently hand pat into a flattened ball.

9. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    50-50 lamb-beef is good. Add a little salt to the mix, maybe. If just beef, add salt, pepper, ketchup, and BBQ sauce. Cook on your best preheated meat pan. They stay together better that way and it's easier to get them cooked right. I like to put fries on my burgers.

10. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I use Ground Chuck. It makes the burgers more like steak. Some salt and pepper and only one flip on the grill.

Only topped with Cheese, Mayo, and Lettuce. The juices from a properly rested burger cooked to medium mesh so well with mayo. Nothing else is necessary.

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Ok I completely stole my recipes :) Whew! that's off my chest!

Egg Bread Bun

If I'm going all out it has to be that bun. No other will do.

100% Wagyu ( or kobe ) An 80 angus 20 pork shoulder works too.

Vidalia Onion - sauteed ( my preference, raw or grilled works )
    Candied Jalapenos
    Smuckers Natural creamy peanut butter
    Lettuce - I like butter lettuce, it's less texture and more flavor for me. Baby spinach could be used too.
    A good aged cheddar. I like a smoked sharp cheddar, myself.
    Tomato - I use the ones I grow in my back yard :) Goliath.
    Crispy Smoked Bacon - I love this one, but it takes a bit of time to get the thick pieces nice and crisp. :D

Salt and pepper the meat to taste. Don't over work it, just get it into it's shape and get em cookin'.

Grill the meat to taste - I like medium rare as I trust my butcher. When it's near done I put the cheese on top and cover it with a metal bowl to get the cheese melted quickly.

I like to grill the bottom bun slightly and then put a thin layer of peanut butter on it. It will melt into the bun ( YUM!! ) That is the only condiment. Not mayo or mustard .. certainly no ketchup/catsup.

Slap the burger on the bun , put as many candied jalapenos as you like, the onions ( I like em sauteed in butta. Go big or go home! ) put the green stuff and tomatoes on then the coup de grâce of bacon. Top it with the bun and man, you're eating GOOD!. :bassist:

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I use a pound of ground round. And a half a stick of butter. And some Liptons onion soup mix. And some Worcester. Maybe some crumbled Gorgonzola if I'm feelin sassy.

13. " I'd like a Jumbo Jack with cheese and a large curly fry."

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Pound? Must be one big burger!

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Definitely NO Burger King lettuce!

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Nah! It makes four or five, but the half stick of butter was pretty specific, so I thought I'd better clarify.

Get it??

Butter? Clarify?

Wocka Wocka.....

17. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried onion, worcestshire, and a touch of liquid smoke worked with the ground beef together in a bowl.

Fried (not deep) or grilled (no bbq sauce). A couple slices of american cheese, kosher dill chips, heaping sheets of lettuce, white or yellow onion, tomato, AVACADO, dust some salt and pepper on the tomato and avacado, mustard and mayo on a toasted bun. :hyper:

18. Funky Ghost

Dude you MUST be related to my sister in law!! Kay does something VERY similar.

19. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    85/15
    Plain patty
    Season while cooking - salt, pepper, drops of worcestershire sauce

I like to keep it simple.

20. Funky Ghost

Sounds good to me :) Keano

Although I REALLY like a black and blue burger as well. 100% angus and blue cheese just works together in a magical way.