It's coming up on a year now since the Hartke Bass Attack 2 was announced...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jwilson67, Dec 8, 2016.

1. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I wonder if they're just going to re-display it again at NAMM in January???

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I been wondering about this too. I wonder how improved the new hartke bass attack preamp pedal is. I wonder if it'll have a newer sound than the previous one(considering that it has a separate overdrive channel).

3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I honestly had no idea that it was still in the pipeline.

I'm very happy with the original pedal, so I wasn't looking to change gears, so it fell off my radar, but a 12 month wait for an announced product is unacceptable.

4. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    I was wondering about this just now myself. I picked up one of these recently on a whim after seeing it in the local ads for super cheap. Using it as an overdrive and it's silly how overlooked the pedal is in that context. Immediately replaced my M80 for live purposes. The only gripe is that gain (aka harmonics on the pedal) knob starts saturating only after 3 o'clock. And then you gotta be super tender and make small, small adjustments to see the change. If they were to rectify this with a new knob with more headroom that starts to break and saturate earlier, that would be perfect.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Really?...it only saturates are 3 'o clock? kinda like the dod boneshaker. when I purchased the boneshaker, I would of thought I would start getting a high gain sound after 12 noon, but it starts at around 3 'o clock. that was kind of a bummer cause I thought I got a pedal that saturates around noon. on the plus side it does a good job on low gain sounds.

As for the new hartke bass attack 2, I think it was meant to be like a preamp just like it's predecessor. not an actual distortion pedal. it's a shame that the new bass attack would of been like a darkglass b7k ultra. that would be cool to see. a hartke version of the b7k ultra.

jwilson67 likes this.
  6. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I really liked the original Bass Attack. It added true character to the sound and warmed things up quite a bit. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the Shape control didn't have it's own volume control and it looks like the Bass Attack 2 is correcting that.

In comparison I also had an MXR M80 for a bit and thought it was a totally redundant pedal that added nothing different to the sound except some EQ and distortion. If and when the BA2 does come to the market it should be special and an incredible deal for what you get.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yeah, it should be an improvement from it's predecessor. maybe hartke had something going on with it's new version of the preamp pedal.

8. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    None of this matters now anyway since I got a Zoom B3. LOL

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yeah well who knows. maybe hartke is making some improvements on the pedal. which is probably why it's being delayed. I got a zoom b3 myself. always my go to pedal for home recordings and practices on headphones.

jwilson67 likes this.
  10. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Eh - I use the B3 for everything now. Practice, gigs, everything. I was trying to be a gear junkie for a while but I don't have the time nor the money. The Zoom is fine quite honestly for the cover stuff I do.

I got caught up in attempting to sound exactly like the bass tones from the material we do (e.g. Muse) but I realized I'm not going to get close to that unless I use a blender of some sort and a good separate distortion so I dial up a decent approximation on the B3.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I see what you mean. I have use the zoom b3 for recordings and live performances at one point. that is until I got my pedalboard and bought many different pedals and that became a part of my live set-up. also if your budget is a concern, you should check out cheaperpedals.com. like the name applies, they have a lot of good pedals at cheaper prices. some of the joyo pedals like the orange juice and the analog chorus sound phenomenal on bass. here are some clips of these pedals.

Orange juice(and other pedals)

Analog chorus

I plan to get one of these pedals sometime soon.

12. Graeme2

Graeme2

Jan 24, 2017
    Hello
    Iv ordered my bass Attack 2 from THOMANN,s E.T.A. 27/2/17?
    Fingers crossed.
    Trying to give my pasive bass some active treatment.
    Im newbie to bass but music tec savvy?
    Iv used Sansamp and Art tube pre,s for recordings
    Iv just recently got a Scott Whitley signature short scale bass DiMarzio pick ups and flat wound strings. The strings sound awesome and easy to play.
    Although the flats are not really appropriate for rock/metal I just use a bit of a fuzz
    And Bobs your auntie.
    I've got both Hartke fuzz and chorus.
    In my limited opinion these two stomps are awesome.
    Demo videos don't do them justice.
    PS I'm new to this form stuff

Crystalman85 likes this.
  13. Graeme2

Graeme2

Jan 24, 2017
    Hello
    Iv ordered my bass Attack 2 from THOMANN,s E.T.A. 27/2/17?
    Fingers crossed.
    Trying to give my pasive bass some active treatment.
    Im newbie to bass but music tec savvy?
    Iv used Sansamp and Art tube pre,s for recordings
    Iv just recently got a Scott Whitley signature short scale bass DiMarzio pick ups and flat wound strings. The strings sound awesome and easy to play.
    Although the flats are not really appropriate for rock/metal I just use a bit of a fuzz
    And Bobs your auntie.
    I've got both Hartke fuzz and chorus.
    In my limited opinion these two stomps are awesome.
    Demo videos don't do them justice.
    PS I'm new to this form stuff

14. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
  15. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
  16. Graeme2

Graeme2

Jan 24, 2017
    The PDF download manual is on the hartke website. Typical minimalist informative.
    No videos or reviews but I bought it on the strength of the base attack 1.
    The only potential problem With the BA2 is dip switches on the top not the side like
    The BA1. Eg dust trap or hevey foot pushing switch frow circuit board.
    I suppose I'm a bit belt and braces and strap locks

17. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Oh weird! I found it from the Google, but apparently didn't like being linked!

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I have a hartke bass fuzz too. despite some mixed opinions, I do like this pedal for it's heavy fuzz-like distortion sounds. from my perspective, it sounds more like a high-gained distortion than a bass fuzz. still I think it's great fuzz pedal. useful for bass solos and if you play in a drum and bass type of band.

19. Graeme2

Graeme2

Jan 24, 2017
    I try noisy bass solos in my bedroom on my own but i mostly use the fuzz very subtly to fake standard strings when I'm having a jam with my mates. I know it's a bit of a strange way to use a fuzz. I will put some proper strings on it soon. And then I'm going to buy a short scale semiacoustic and put flat wound strings on that. I'm not a good enough player to justify buying another bass but what the hell