It's Complete!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Hey all.
    I finished my first bass today!!
    I'd like to thank everyone for answering my questions throughout the process. And I'd especially like to thank my wife for putting up with the dust and the Padouk-colored kids.

Here's a pic.

The specs are as follows.

Goncalo Alves top/Padouk back.
    Warmoth 5-string neck. Maple/Purpleheart/Ebony. I added the Goncalo headstock laminate.
    Hipsot bridge
    Bartolini HR4.6 preamp
    Bart J pups.
    Gotoh tuners.
    THG Knobs made of Goncalo Alves.
    Brass nut.
    Tung Oil/wax finish.

You can find other images here:

Attached Files:

• body.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
  2. Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Nice job, Luke! The bass looks great!

3. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Kinda looks like a warwick thumb. Great job. a first attempt?
  4. amazing job, i really love it and totally see the warwick connection
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nice job luke! That finish warm. The body is a little to off center for my tastes, but this is your bass and not mine :D . Sound Clips?
  6. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Very nice. I'm in the process of building my first. At the moment the only thing holding me up is a new blade for the planer :meh:.
  7. Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    And look now.....have to say i still love the job you've done anyway! And the top is marvelous, damn! What did you used to finish the body?

Two thumbs up!
  8. 5thString

May 5, 2004
    Beautiful bass! Congratulations!
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Neat little beauty!

Two details I don't like: headstock (I don't like headstocks, nothing special for your version :p ;) ) and heel.
    Next time, pay a little more attention tho the heel, and that axe might be much too close to perfect!

Time to rock your baby! :bassist:
  10. You attempted and solved the problem of fitting a standard length neck to a smaller body. I haven't even figgered that one out!

From the looks of that pup setup, she's gonna have more growl than belly full o' Krystal's! (or White Kastles)
  11. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I placed the saddle on the g-string 80% back and then positioned the bridge as fack back as I could so the saddle would line up at 34". When I bolted everything up, the intonation was almost dead on. Very little tweaking. And yes, it does growl. I need to get out to a studio so I can crank it up. Kids don't like Big Ben rattling the house past bedtime.
  12. Nice job Luke! That Goncalo Alves top looks really nice.