1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Its crazy, crazy enough too work.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by curbowkid, Jul 31, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    So I'm looking into getting a cheap squier jazz bass, but my biggest issue with all fenders is that the necks are set too low in the pocket to set the strings even remotely close to where I prefer them. Then a thought popped in my head. Pop the neck off, rip the finish off the body, fill the screw holes, make a 5 mm whole pocket shim that extends out onto the flat portion of the neck, glue it all together in the joint, shape it all with rasp and knife for a smooth transition, and then maybe add one more piece of wood to the end of the joint just to make it more streamlined since bolt on joints are bulky. I'm just concerned that the joint isn't big enough too have enough surface area to hold the neck firmly in place. Thoughts? I thought it was a really cool idea and I've never seen it done before

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    But.... I can set the saddles so low on my telebass lie flat against the frets.... or almost (I've roughly 0 - 5 mm clearance at the 12th fret with a straight neck.

Can't you just add a 2 mm shim? I'd never do a set neck when bolt on plate or inserts were an option... Unless I really knew what I was up to.

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I brought my set yo stuff too guitar center and did a set up on the one I am thinking about getting. The saddles bottomed out with a quarter inch between the strings and the fretboard. And I got the idea as an experiment because I love the Fodera joints, the bass in question is really cheap, and I'm bored with no real build projects ATM. Plus I have found IME that a shim simply placed in a bolt on joint affects the tone. I had a peavey millennium BXP 5, it always sounded really weird too me and I could never clear up the tone no matter what I did, I figured electronics. One day I decided to refinish it down to the natural wood. As soon as I popped off the neck, a shim fell out. When I put the neck back on without it, bass sounded absolutely 100% better.

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Any thoughts on basically rebuilding the neck joint to be neck thru?

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    You mean sawing off the wings and carving a whole new neck to place between them?!?

6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    All you need is a shim for the heel end to change the neck angle. You don't need to raise the whole neck up.

If you use a tapered hardwood shim rather than the thin cardboard or plastic shims used in most factory setups, the effect on the tone will be slim to nil.

Not to knock the wind out of your idea, but I really doubt you'd have enough surface area there to make a really strong glue joint, and bolt-on neck joints aren't really precise enough to be converted to glue joints anyway - at least not glue joints you'd be able to trust. If you're going to go to all that trouble, you might be better off just starting a scratch-build.

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Nahhhhhh too much work for a cheap bass. I'm thinking of making an exotic wood shim that's about 5mm thick out of purple heart, then fitting it to fill the pocket and then extend out over the flat of the neck where the two meet. Then fill the screw holes, glue down the purple heart too the neck, glue the neck in the joint, and then shape it all together after adding another piece of basswood or what ever wood the bass is made of at the end of the joint to make it smoother when all shaped together. I'm worried that there isn't enough surface area to hold the neck though

8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I'm not worried about it really. I already have each cut and glue planned. I figured the joint wouldn't be big enough to make this work. I just thought it would be cool to do, I'm not too worried about messing up the bass, it's a cheap highly produced squier jazz in electric blue.

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Although I tend to agree with Lo-E about the lack of surface area, I say go for it! Since it's cheap, and since you're bored, go full steam ahead, and flog it when you're done. If it doesn't break, then you win!

10. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Why not do what you are planing but keep it a bolt on. Then you will have no worries.

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Just spitballin' here, but...

Drill out the neck screw holes in the body for dowels. Fill the screw holes in the neck with the dowels, leaving enough length to go through your exotic wood shim and the body. Glue accordingly. Proceed from there.

Would definitely increase the surface area, not sure how glued dowels plus extra lumber would hold up to normal stresses and use, though.

Just sayin'...

wraub

12. klyph

klyph

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    I'm with bassbuilder- why not just glue the shim into the neck pocket and keep it a bolt on? I would also make two half- thickness shims. 2 or 3 mm might get you where you want to be. I say do it because most Fenders, for me have not enough clearance between the strings and the body for playing comfort. It's one of the many reasons I prefer G&Ls. I'd love to see how this turns out.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    +1

14. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Instead of all of this craziness with shims and whatnot, you could put a light route under the bridge so it would sit in the body deeper.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I suggest you buy something other than a Fender.

16. Hi.

That's called a set-neck, not a neck-through.

Flat surface short set-necks don't exist out of the DIY circles AFAIK, the joint may hold.

If You wanted a set-neck F, you'd need an unrouted body, and ~10mm thicker heel neck.

Google Les Paul neck joint, and You'll get the idea how it's done.

Regards
    Sam

17. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I call it neck thru out of bad habit lol and thanks. I was kinda hoping the hard wood shim insert would make it work.

18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I like you're thinking!

19. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    The basic jist behind this is,
    1. No one has done it, why not be the first on record
    2. I don't mind doing the work, even if it's not functional, it's still an educational experience
    3. I just wanna do some wood working and this is interesting enough to get my vote

20. Hi.

1. If You leave the "shimming" that creates two dissimilar glue joints instead of just one part out, I and at least one of my friends tried that in the late 80's, and I'm pretty certain we weren't the first.

We did that against our teachers advice mind you (he knew absolutely nothing about making instruments, but a lot about woodworking), and his POW won in the end. As expected.

2. Sure, it may be educational in some sense, but it's not the 70's/80's anymore when the information wasn't as easy to get as nowadays.

3. As a die-hard DIY-holic in my early 40's I'd humbly suggest that You try something that has a tad better success probability.

Regards
    Sam