Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's Done And It's Beautiful-My Hill Custom Fretless 6!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I finally got this last week, but I wanted to wait until I had pics to post about it.

Here are the specs:
    Six-string fretless
    34" scale 24 frets
    Curly fiddleback buckeye top, figured walnut back
    Six-piece wenge, purpleheart, and paduak neck,
    separated by maple veneers
    Ebony fretboard with poly coating
    Bartolini A.P 5.2 preamp with Bart soapbars
    Gold hardware (switched from black)
    ABM bridge
    Red LED side markers
    Maple and purpleheart fretlines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The poly coating is just like that on a Pedulla Buzz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Looks great - how does it sound?

BTW that is one messy room :) Is that your panda in the background?

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah she is beautiful.. Looks like you'll not have GAS pains for at least a few months

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Looks nice! Congrats! I especially like the multi-lam neck through and the different woods for the fretlines. Cool. :cool:

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like the color of hte body. I don't like the headstock that much.

that's a pretty small taper you got going, looks like a beast to play in 1st position:eek:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It actually sounds just like I hoped it would- very mwahful and not uprightish. The A/P 5.2 is very similar (but better, IMO) to the NTMB which is a preamp I already loved. I'm going to put sound clips up hopefully in the next day or two.

Oh yeah, and that's the music/computer room in our apartment. With the holidays just ending and a three-week old daughter, I haven't had much time for cleaning. And that is my lovely panda ;)

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The taper is pretty minimal, but the string spacing isn't wide. 1st position is actually easy to play in for me, believe it or not. It's more narrow than my seven-string was, and that was pretty easy to play in the lower registers as well. The bridge is also low on the body, so the first position is nice and close. I've played some basses with very narrow necks that felt terrible in the first position because of the bridge and strap horn placement.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Doesn't the 5.2 harness use the NTMB preamp? Not sure what the "AP" is (as opposed to "HR") - but I'd guess it has the active/passive option?

Is the switch active/passive or mid frequency?

Looks great BTW!

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The AP does stand for active/passive, which is done by pushing up or down the master volume. The difference is that the mids knob has a push/pull mid boost as well. It's very similar-just set up in a way that suits me better.

Oh, and the switch is for the LEDs. And thanks!

14. :eek: x 1000000.

That is stunning! I really like the different colour woods on the stripe on the back....that is one beautiful bass.

Rock on Bryan. :D

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    NICE! I can't wait to hear it... looks like is sings!

:bassist:

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Couple more pics. Here's the music room all nice and picked-up:
    [​IMG]

And a photo for WR to show that 1st position ain't bad at all:

Hand

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sound clips still in progress...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Congrats on this sweet bass! I guess since you got those multi laminents you have the new "Rainbow" bass :rolleyes: :D

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Ahh, very nice! Kinda Pedulla meets Ken Smith for the body. Like so many others, I love the neck wood combination. Who supplied the LEDs? Sims or someone else?

James