It's Done! Consensus 2?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ii-v, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The shape just isnt for me, but with reguards to craftsmanship and wood choices, it does look very nice.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I like it even more than I liked it before! The location of the bass clef in relation to where the horn attaches is very nice as well.
  3. the shape/color aren't for me, but it looks like it plays quite nicely.
  4. Nicely done! Have fun with it!
  5. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I LOVE IT!
    It must be quite gratifying to have a rudamentary sketch turn into a fabulous and unique instrument!

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i dont mind helping a little.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Same complaint as before. I find the attached upper horn rather *blech* but that's just me.
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like it alot. Kudos to you for doing something different :)
  9. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Also not a huge fan of the horn, but the neck looks great with that inlay.
  10. I'm a j-bass and p-bass, the simpler the better, but that thing looks really cool, and it "looks" like it plays like butter. I dig it! Congrats!
  11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Looks DAMN near perfect to me!!!
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    As someone who works a bit with his hands, I have to say it is absolutely beautiful!! As a highly opinionated bassist and consumer I'll give you my consensus, but only after saying that THAT BASS is a thousand times better than anything I have ever built with wood. This opinion was requested:

The lower bout is to wide when compaired with the horns.
    The horns don't don't flow "free", especially the lower one. It looks like it's been amputated, or isn't done "growing back" or something.
    The way the upper horn is attached to the neck reminds me of my brother's webbed toes, it's very organic, too organic for a bass with this much tech and detail.
    At least one of the contrasting woods visable on the back of the neck should continue through the back of the bass, or at least resurface again toward the bottom, to visually tie the body and neck together. I'm impressed, however, by the complete sandwiching of the top and bottom over the neck as it passes through the body and COULD possibly live with this, but I can't tell just by looking.
    .....This is all just a matter of opinion, I really can't find anything fundamentally "wrong" with this bass, it's just not my cup of tea and those are the reasons why..
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I really like the inlay, and that's about it.
  14. The inlay, the top and the matching knobs are all gorgeous.
  15. I think it's damn near perfect looking, IMHO. It looks like superb workmanship also. Congrats on a very fine piece.
  16. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Awesome job! I think it is original, it shows great skill and dedication, and I'd play it. I think you'll find that anything that is "different" from the standard will get flak. It's not always the case, but frequently enough that it can defuse the creative flow. I think it's a fabulous and unique bass, while the J/P-bass crowd might see it differently. Don't take it personally, you have a good future as a builder, from the looks of it! :D
  17. ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    I am not actually the luthier, the luthier is Grandon at GW basses. He currently is a luthier and I think that he did a very good job with my design. I suspect by his discription of the tone I will like it alot. For fun I think I will outline some positives in this experience.

Grandon is good to talk with and from sound clips I listened to is a fine player as well. Convincing him to take a stab at one of my poor drawings was not tough. This exhibits he has some confidence in his trade, which is an excellent sign.

Kent Armstrong took a phone-call from me and talk options on pickups until I felt satisfied with the winding and gauge of the wire. He is insightful and has built pickups for some big time names in the world of luthiery. He built the pickups the same day he got the covers from Grandon and mailed them back almost immediately.

Roger at THG is also a great guy to talk to. He was kind enough to send pics to my email address when he finished the tuners. He also built the knobs from the top piece of camphor from the bass. Grandon sent him some.

Three class individuals that I new very little about at the beginning of this process.

One funny story. I read an interesting comment someone had written about KA pickups. It was not glamorous. I then found out his bass he bragged about so much had KA pickups and were built for a very well-known luthier on a proprietary basis.

I emailed the person and told him his bass had KA pickups. He was humbled. On the off chance he is a member here I will not share his name. I am sure it was an embarassing experience for him.
  18. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Aside from my artistic inhibitions and opinions, the bass loks great. Sure I woudl have changed the shape and the wood, but it looks like you did a mighty fine job on it. I hope it sounds great!
  19. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL

Grandon's has been nothing but patient and helpful through my building process as well (pics, clips, and full review upon completion :hyper: ). As for the bass above, the body shape is personally not my cup of tea. But the quality, craftmanship and wood combo is outstanding!