Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it's done! (well, nearly done)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Jun 20, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

knob 1 - main volume
    knob 2 - piezo volume
    3 way switch - series/split/parallel

I still need to install the sidedots, and I've got better knobs on the way (those are some cheapo Radio Shack knobs). I also need to install the EQ, but I've got a few quirks I need to work out on it first (ie: it's not working :mad: - don't want to drill the body holes for them until they work).

I will be adding a 2nd 3way switch that controls what is being EQ'd
    1 - basslines on, piezo off
    2 - both on
    3 - basslines off, piezo on

oh
    I also need to get a string tension thing (or 2) for the headstock

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    if anyone is interested in building their own instrument, check out http://www.mimf.com/

Their's a lot of good FREE information there, and I wouldn't have finished it w/o help from that site.

Register in the forum for all of the archived discussion material.

3. Nice! Kinda like the patrickj fretless Stingray5? I actually think the knobs look kinda cool like that, but can understand if you want to change them for something a little more slick-looking.

I have a lot of respect for all you people that can build your own instruments. I can barely get a can of soup open...

Good job.

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    That is truly awesome! I'll buy it!;)

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    hehe you notice the influence?

The body is a sort of tweaked/off BTB style body, with the treble horn being just plain weird and different for a BTB. For the headstock, I originally had my own design, but when I made my first neck (out of wenge - poor exotic wood) I screwed it up to the point of it being unsalvagable. This was ok, because I also realized that even though I measured 8 or 9 times, the tuners weren't going to fit properly.

Someone here had posted pictures of the 5 string Stingray (brilliant orange color), and they had photographed the headstock at a near 90 degree angle, so what I did was just photoshop it to actual size, print it, and use it as a template - "if it works, don't try to break it".

There's no tone knob, but there's a tone (hard wired @ ~ 35% open).

6. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    the pup routing looks slightly better than lettermans teeth, other than that it looks DAMN fine. how does it FEEL?

7. Wow. That is a really really nice bass. I gotta say it's probably the only home made bass that I'm gassin for. All the others are headless freaks with weirdo body shapes. This one is soooo nice. It's got a nice G&L vibe goin on. Awesome bass. Congrats.

8. That bass looks great. I really want to build one. How much time did you spend on that? How do you like the sound as it is without the EQ?

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I was originally going to get some sort of pickup cover/pickguard to hide it, but then I figured 'eh' ;)

I routed the pickup socket after I routed the neck socket for the first neck. When I made made the 2nd neck, I had to make a few adjustments to the socket (the 2nd neck was a little wider - error in my plans the first time). Did any of that make sense?

As Calvin's dad would put it, "It builds character". ;) <font size=1>Calvin & Hobbes</font>

Kraig99: It rocks! It's an SD Basslines pickup, and it's by far the nicest all passive sound I've heard (well, I can only compare to my OLP ;))

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow!!! :eek: :D

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    good job man...

can you share the price of the materials? price of the whole bass?

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    ~ $140 for all woods, electronics (excluding SD pickup), hardware (tuners, bridge, etc)

The Basslines 5 I managed to snag new on eBay for $43 +/- shipping. I've seen them elsewhere new for about $85 or so. (just the pickup, no EQ)

Including shipping, misc. expenses, breaking things, the total cost for the materials was ~ $225.

But I also invested just a tad over $450 in various tools and hardware needed to build it :) I plan on making more than one bass, and I have other uses for all this stuff (scroll/band saws, router, powertools!!), so it was a smart investment imo.

13. very beautifull! great job!

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dude those knobs are absolutely yakkable. Otherwise, very nice beast.