1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's Exactly One Year Since My First Post And...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Well it will be a year exactly tomorrow. My first post was this...

Have been playing Blues/Rock guitar for a few years and decided to take up Bass, mainly for recording so that I can avoid using sampled bass in the mix.

I got myself a new Fender Jazz American Deluxe and have been absorbed with it in all week. I must admit that I approached it thinking - how hard can it be? and answer seems to be - very easy actually.

The only thing that I needed to get used to was the extra stretching that my left hand needs to do, but I got past that very quickly. In fact, because of this I reckon that my fretting hand on the guitar is even stronger.

My question is this: at this stage I'm perfectly happy to play Bass using only a pick and alternate picking for everything, Rock, Blues etc...

Is there any reason why I should or must learn finger style?
    I've tried it, but I've discovered that I'm utterly incapable of doing it even badly.

Looking back now, my question seems naive and almost ridiculous - with the benefit of hindsight of course. Yes, I did learn finger style to point where I can't really use a pick anymore.

I made this video today to mark the occasion of my first year as a beginner bass-player who plays with his fingers.

http://youtu.be/UuJnUrmIw4k

2. The Celestials

The Celestials

Jul 1, 2013
    Delaware
    YAY! I'm a recent bass convert from guitar, so I will probably laugh at my older stuff a year from now. Congrats on a one year!