1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's finally coming together......

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by the art guy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    So we've been "getting this band together" for a couple months now. Jammed a couple times, it felt good - so we started talking about song choices, etc. This is a trio: me (bass/backing vox), guitar/lead vox and drums. We're playing mostly what I would call alt.country/roots/power pop - all covers, but deliberately avoiding what we see as overused ones (obviously we're not in it for the $$ - just fun).

The last few rehearsals had been frustrating. The drummer's volume was overpowering us, and we couldn't hear well enough to harmonize and work together (even with vocals through PA). It was leading to some tensions that were making me question if it was even going to work out. I mean, I don't have time for drama - this is a "hobby". But then the drummer decided to try some things, and a couple nights ago, he put foam padding around the drums. It made a HUGE difference - he can now hit hard (which he does), and we can get a nice balance.

So rehearsal Tuesday night: we added a new tune that we hadn't even tried yet: Uncle Tupelo's "Gun". (Anyone? Can I get a "hell yeah"?) It went GREAT - and so did the rest of the rehearsal. Immediately we all felt better about the whole thing, and now it feels like we can make progress. Maybe be ready to gig in a couple months.

Sorry for the long story that's probably only really interesting to me. But I needed to....uh, do whatever the opposite of venting is.

Side note: anyone else playing that kind of music?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Another good material to put around drums is sound board. Most large hardware stores carry it.

Another idea to get across to the drummer is "dynamics". He needs to learn to play according to the song and the venue. Not all songs/venues need "hard-hitting" drums. Playing louder doesnt' make it better.

I've heard many bands play all their tunes at the same volume and as the night goes on, with hearing being numbed over time, the drums just get louder and louder. Not a good thing.

Dynamics...something for the whole band to learn, rehearse and make their music more interesting.

3. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yeah, I appreciate the advice. But I may have given too strong an impression. He (and the rest of us) understands "dynamics". It's just that even when we're laying back, the sound coming from the drums and cymbals seems to take up a lot of room, if you know what I mean. Almost like it's occupying the same frequency space as the guitar. (I'm no sound engineer, so I hope this is understandable.......)

4. Hell Yeah!!:bassist:

I'm into Uncle Tupelo, Jeff Tweedy, Jay Farrar, and other alt-country. But I mostly play it on acoustic guitar with friends, hootenany style.