It's finally done... the HG Thor Epoxy Treated LB-70 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Dec 21, 2005.

1. and I'm picking it up right after my psychology final!

I'll be sure to post pictures the instant I have it back near my camera.

I waited a REAL LONG TIME for this and have complete faith in H.G.'s epoxy treatment, having played several instruments he had worked on.

Needless to say, I'm excited.
  2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    holy crap, thats awesome!
    can't wait to see pictures, and more importantly hear some clips!!!
    exactly how long did you wait?
    I'm sure it will be worth it...
  3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    that's great news! Personally I've been gasing for a fretless for quite some time and it recently got worse, I'm thinking of doing it to my Godin which is a neat souding bass, thing is the last luthier I sent it to kind of refused doing the epoxy thing, it is very rare or perhaps inexistant around here, people I've seen with fretless basses just use flats on plain Rosewood boards and even those leave marks on the wood.
  4. One of these days I'll be saying this. Last time I checked, I was #60 on the wait list, I figure another 7 to 11 mos.
  5. HG Thor exopy is so nice.. I would send him my neck if I ever wanna defret..
  6. I waited over a year and a half.

Next update will include pictures. After that, sound clips!
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

For an epoxy treatment?
    You sure are patient, my friend
  8. I don't think I could ever wait that long.

I'd probably forget about it all together and then one day it'd show up. That'd be a nice surprise.
  9. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Awesome! I can't wait for some pictures and sound clips, I'm sure it will play phenomenally, congratulations.
  10. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    A year and a half? Ridiculous. I have used an epoxy guy in the past who is authorized by Martin Gu****s in Ohio. His epoxy isn't the shiny, Pedulla-like coating you see on Thor's fingerboards. It's like a flat satin, and is nearly don't "look" like you have an inch-thick coating on there. It feels naked to the touch, but when you plug it in....BAM!! It's identical to the epoxy treatment Kevin Kaufman (Jaco's bass tech) does on his instruments now (no, it's NOT the Petit's Poly-Poxy...that's what Jaco ORIGINALLY used on his first fretless jobs, buy Kevin sanded it offf and poured his own treatment on there...that's the sound everyone's used to hearing.).
    His shop is Rainbow Instrument Repair in Richmond Heights, OH. PM me for his phone #...he takes 2 weeks to defret the neck, level the board, add epoxy, and ship it back. Cost? 225.00$ Beats 18 months and more money, in my book.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thor doesn't have the bass that long, you keep it until he tells you to send it.
  12. Deal of the century! :bassist: <---Mwaaahh...
  13. Agreed, this is giving me second thoughts on a graphite neck :ninja:
  14. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I had the HG Thor epoxy done on a warmoth neck and had that sent along with a complete geddy body to Hambone for assembly/set up. He finished it and I should be getting it back shortly, can't wait! I'm sure if you ask Hambone he'll give you the lowdown on what he thinks of the HG Thor epoxy, he was impressed.
  15. [​IMG]

Better images of the instrument are to follow - I'm far too busy playing it!
  16. sure, just dangle the GAS in front of us hungry TB'rs. :smug: :D