1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's finished!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 28, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Here's my bass after I finished the mods:

100_2826_zps9ec70c84.

It used to be a Peavey Millennium J/J but this one didn't sound good as is - which was a bummer because I used to own one and it did sound good as is.

The neck pickup is an SGD Sidewinder and the other two are SGD Neo's. It's passive with a V/B/T setup. The tone is connected to a decade switch (like a varitone without the inductor) with a bypass, 0.01, 0.022, 0.033, 0.047, and 0.1uf capacitors. The 4pdt mini toggle is a series/single/parallel switch for the two Neo humbuckers.

The last knob is a pickup pair selector. Setting one gives me the neck pup as "neck" and middle pup as "bridge". Setting two gives me the neck pup as "neck" and bridge pup as "bridge". Setting three gives me the middle pup as "neck" and bridge pup as "bridge". Finally, setting four gives me the neck pup as "neck" and middle + bridge pups as "bridge".

Whaddaya think?

Here are some sound clips of the settings. To my ears they all sound similar in the clips but they definitely don't through my amp. It still gives you a taste of how it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Looks pretty cool and insane at the same time.

3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think it needs... just... one more... pickup! :D

I keed, I keed!

Very cool, bro! :bassist:

Are you going to make sound clips?

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yup. I'm going to work on sound clips tomorrow.

5. Looks awesome, how do the pups sound? I'm waiting on one.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! It being passive the settings are more practical than they might appear.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Both kinds sound really good in different ways. The Neo's have a good amount of girth and sound good in all three settings. The sidewinders sound like a really good Jazz pup - round and clear with good bottom and top.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Normally I'd cringe at the sight of a modded US Millennium, but this looks great.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That's high praise coming from you. I was nervous about the Peavey crowd's response.

I got this Mill excited 'cause the one I had before was so great, but this one was a dud. Muddy and hissy - not a great combo. I've been able to turn it into a gem, I think, especially since the body, neck, and hardware are so excellent.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Sound clips now in the first post.

11. Sounds fantastic! I'm really impressed with your electronic decisions (if that means anything to you :D), it all seems very inventive and ingenious. That last clip sounded especially nice, really punchy, clean and crisp, but with a good body to it.

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! It's really worked out well. I guess I got spoiled by the G&L L2000 Tribute basses that I've owned. I always removed the preamp and did up a bunch of passive switching options instead. This bass is lighter with a narrower neck than those and now has as many options (if not more).