1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It's funny to me-the gap in value between Peavey and Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Speaking of '80's area basses. Both U.S. made, the Peavey being of equal or better quality (I know it's a different flavor) but being worth half of what a Fender is.

2. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    Kinda like buying a Harley....... It may not be the best made bike out there.... But it's a Harley

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thread, Fender set the mold, and that alone is money in the bank.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    "Takeaway": 80s Peavey basses are often a steal.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Yep. For instance, the T-40. Lots of tonal options and solid as a rock. Really nice ones can be had for 350.00

6. Bassman1Seb

Bassman1Seb

Aug 12, 2010
    I can see what you're saying here. There are probably a couple of reasons for the price gap, one being that Fenders are perceived as the best basses out there. I mean, Fenders make great basses but I personally think they're slightly overrated compared to less well known brands, such as Peavey. Peavey did have good stuff before they started making cheap guitars.
    Another reason for the price gap may be that people perceive Peavey products as cheap, because of their new stuff, even though they used to be the ''Shiz'' :bassist:

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Guitarist in my band said of T-60's, "no way I'd be caught playin' one of those!" Actually, the T-60 is a good instrument like it's counterpart, the T-40. I guess I should shut up and not let the word get out. Keep prices low and let guys buy solid instruments for not much cheese.

8. The Usa Cirrus' series=incredible quality etc...resale is TERRIBLE. I'm not knocking Fender at all because I love the tone/feel{of the good batches}. I just think for something soooo mass produced on machines should be reflected in the price and its not.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    hey, it is what it is.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Peavey equipment, even back when it was all made in the U.S.A. was still always considered a "value" brand. Good solid gear at very reasonable prices.

The used market refects this with "bargain" used prices.

11. I think fender deserves a better comparison than harley :bag:

12. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    yeah, maybe more like bmw (in the moto world). now if they's come out with the bass equivalent of the s1000rr.:hyper:

13. I'd find a new guitarist :eek:

T-60's are AWESOME. http://marsguitars.us/products.html

Shoot... i dig ALL the T series. I have a T-20 and a Franken-T (T45+T40).

I also still really like the idea that the 80's Peavey Fury's can pretty much stand toe to toe with almost any Fender P.

14. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i had a foundation i liked a lot.

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    No, Harley is the perfect comparison. The major appeal of both brands is retro styling. But, to Harley's credit, they're not making budget models overseas.

16. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Unfortunately I haven't played many vintage Peaveys that impressed me yet. What am I missing? I've played a T-40 and something else I thought was called a T-60 maybe, that I think had Jazz Bass pickup configuration.

I have nothing against the Peavey name, like some people seem to without reason, but I've also never played one I liked that much. As a Ric owner I thought I'd really like the T-40 based on what people were saying but I found it to be worlds apart. A different voicing than a Ric or a Fender and not one I cared for.

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    BMW has an aggressive policy of looking forward towards innovation in technology and styling. In fact, unlike it's competition, BMW refuses to put out a "retro" model.

This is the exact opposite of Fender's marketing philosophy.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    how come olive garden charges $25 a plate when you can go to mcdonald's and eat for $6? how come one girl will slap you if you tell her you want to bang her and another will let you bang her? how come adam sandler makes more for a movie when robert pattinson is more handsome?

waah waah waah.

19. Too bad a good portion of Harley parts are made in China and Japan. They should be US made from the kickstand up if their pride is being American made....sorry for the hijack..back to Peavey

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    load of crap. fender has ALWAYS tried to come up with new designs. but nobody buys them and they buy jazzes and precisions by the ton. so if you're running fender, what are you gonna do?

boy, you guys in basses sure do a lot of complaining about fender. almost like you're mad that your favorite bass isn't as popular. who cares?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021