Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's getting close to riding season! Dirty Biker Stuff!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tufnuts, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Hey ya'll fellow riding TB'ers. Anything new w/ your two-wheeled world this coming spring/summer/fall???

I've been on a tear lol. Some things.

The XJ550R has undergone a bit of a transformation. Here's the pics and a rundown.

[​IMG]

Before, last fall.

Now, in the garage (it's snowing outside still....sigh)

[​IMG]

Kinda a cafe-street tracker lol. No real way to describe it.

Added a borla canister
    Made my own flyscreen
    Making my own rear section
    LED Taillights / taglight.
    Making a new seat
    Added some lockhart phillips turnsignals
    Stage 3 jet kit
    Pro-flo clip-ons

Already had 4-1 exhaust and uni-filters.

Now imagine it in yellow / black to look like an early 80's Kenny roberts kinda thing.

So I've taken off about 58lbs worth of stuff by the time I'm done. Should be at a dry weight of 380lbs or so. Hopefully put it on the chassis dyno at work...I'd like to see 55-60 rear wheel horsepower. Not a monster, but the cool factor is incredibly high.

Still gotta sync the carbs, set the pilot jets once the temps get up to decent temperatures.

Now, here's the next thing. 1979 Suzuki GS550. I'm leaning twoards making a rigid chopper. I might buy a 81 yamaha XS400 for it w/ it's parallel twin instead. In that case, the suzuki gets a more conventional street tracker setup. It's ugly, way cheap and runs. Did I mention it's ugly? It's actually pretty heavy also.

[​IMG]

Also bought a Joe Rocket Retro 88 jacket at closeout prices, got a gold faceshield coming in for my SyMax helmet, and some Speedmaster yellow/black/carbon gloves in route also.

Just remember, my job is to be a mechanical design engineer for motorcycles........so the fact that I enjoy doing this in my spare time during the 20 degree winter still kinda blows my mind.

Just charged and reassembled all the neccesary bits to make the seca run. Started it up. Holy jeez, for such a small bike/engine I'm still impressed.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    :(
    Oh, man. Hearing your fun makes this so much more painful for me! I've gotta sell my Fizzer!

[​IMG]

The transmission went out in my car, so my parents are making me sell the bike to help pay for a new car. I'd love to just ride the bike for a few weeks, but living in the rainiest city in the US kinda puts a damper on that. :(

To all TBers on bikes, have FUN and please be safe!

3. That sucks man! :(

How much ya asking?:p

4. Nothing new on my Vulcan, but I'm getting antsy to get out and ride.

5. Well, it snowed here again last night. That's okay, I'm not ready to go yet. Might be at least a couple more weeks.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    It's not got an engine, but it's still got two wheels - this is my other passion...hence the /nick "DirtDog".

[​IMG]

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    More like a couple of months!:( Screw this bitter cold winter we've been having so far!:spit:

My '84 Yamaha XV1000 waits patiently in the garage as it has since last November. . . :(

8. Very cool, love the rear suspension! I've never seen a rising-rate setup on a bicycle!

Edit: Disc brakes! Woah!

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just today went to look at a new bmw and a used Ducati...I will be in like flynn by march !:D

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Sorry to hear your bike has to go!

If we'd lived closer you coulda kept my Ninja running for me!

I'm at the fingers crossed stage I get my license back in 2 months. Had to surrender it becuase of the seizure I had back in September. All I've been able to do is potter up and down the driveway to keep things moving and try to stop things seizing up!

If I don't get it back in spring, it'll be October before I get it back - D'oh!

I'll put in a pick sometime soon of my baby!

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah, there's a lot of MC technology that's trickled down in the last decade or so: old MC suspension gurus like John Turner and Horst Leitner have done a lot to get this technology on bikes...

On this bike: Fox coil/oil shocks, Marzocchi air/oil forks (6" travel)Hayes 8" hydraulic disc brakes, suspension design, big-a$$ Nokian 2.5 tires....Weight = about 40lbs.

All of this for the price of a used 125cc motocross bike!

DD

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's a beautiful machine. I've been dying to get out on mine since I threw a new fork on it, but this winter has been brutally cold in Toronto... windchill of -32 C tonight... brrrrr....

13. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I just got a Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe and CAN'T wait for some warm weather to go riding..I've got the straight pipes going on this weekend and am trying to decide on a nice solo seat...With my luck, it will be like washing my car..As soon as I plan to ride, it will rain!!!

[​IMG]

Tommy

14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The Shore Team edition is sweet. I am trying to decide on a new ride for the upcoming season -- the Norco Shore (w/ Super T up front) is #1 in the list of choices. The other two options are a Kona Stinky Primo or a Santa Cruz Bullitt.

15. What kind fork/bike do you got? I just got a new/never used Manitou X-vert for my canondale F-400 and it is super sweet.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I just put a NOS (new old-stock) 2001 Psylo Race Tullio on my Thin Blue Line, which is a brand only available at one shop in Canada.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey Tufnuts,

Looks like the Yamaha is coming out nicely. I kinda like the red/silver paintjob, perhaps you should leave it as it is..

Rear end looks good, fibre glass is it? Perhaps I should get me a project of my own. Bike insurances are extremely high around here though, I'll be 30 or so before I can afford a bike :rolleyes:

18. FRP - Fiberglass reinforced Plastic. Which means fiberglass :D

Nah, gotta change the color. It came from an era where yamahas were yellow and black, and I really dig those colors together. Gonna go layup the seat this weekend, got the rear section bodyworked enough to use. Now just have to sink in th taillights and mount the tag....and golly. I should be done.....maybe a couple more weekends?

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh yeah - you can't go wrong with any of those choices. I like 'em all!

DD

20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I can' wait for spring 78 Honda Goldwing (all cut and choped) 93 FZR 600