Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's here, it's finally here!...now please help me!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silentstranger, Dec 23, 2002.

1. My rig is finally nearing completion! I got an Eden Navigator last week or so, and my Aguilar GS210 cab arrived via Fedex today (complete with two broken plastic corners...it's effin' lovely how well Fedex treats their packages :mad: ). I'm borrowing a QSC RMX850 from my band's PA until I get my own amp. So, I have all the necessary components, but I haven't the slightest idea how to hook them all up (it's my first non-combo rig).

The Navigator has Main Outputs (left/right or hi/low), Aux Inputs (left/right) and some other stuff that doesn't seem necessary at the moment; all jacks are 1/4" except for three XLR jacks for DI.

The GS210 has one Speakon and two 1/4" inputs.

The RMX has the following for each channel: one Speakon output, one XLR input next to a 1/4" input (I think the 1/4" is an input), and a pair of red and black jacks that I figure must be the banana plugs everyone is always talking about.

So, uh, how the hell do I hook everything up and what cables do I need? I was thinking I should bridge the amp, which would be 600W @8ohms, compared to the 350W handling of the GS210, which should provide good headroom (let me know if my thinking is wrong here). However, I don't know what to connect to where and in what order. Can anyone help me out with this? And why does the GS210 have two 1/4" inputs?? I'm using this rig at a show on Thursday, and I'm hoping to try it out beforehand to determine settings and whatnot. Please help, I need to produce some serious sound with this stuff without blowing it all up :)

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just give me two days till I get my Navigator and Ill give you a hand!

Peace
    Nick

3. Hey Nick, that's a pretty nice Xmas gift, hope you enjoy it :)

So I'm thinking the way to hook this stuff up is... one of the Navigator outs -> RMX in w/ either a 1/4"-1/4" or 1/4"-XLR cable, and then RMX out -> GS210 w/ Speakon-Speakon, or banana-1/4" if I want to bridge (but which of the cab's 1/4" jacks, and why are there two?). Argh, too many choices. I'll be heading over to GC soon to buy what I need, but I still don't know what to get.

Any advice, anyone?

4. Go to the QSC website, and download the manual for the RMX850. It's a pdf, so it shouldn't take too long. There is one Speakon connector that is wired for bridging, so you should go to GC and get a Speakon-to-Speakon cable and rewire one of the plugs to the RMX850's bridging configuration. (It's easy; it just takes an allen key to do it. No soldering needed with Speakons.) Label that cable on the bridged plug as "BRIDGED" in big letters so you'll always know it's for that purpose only. Then connect your cab to the RMX850 using that cable in the bridged output Speakon jack on the amp with the modified bridging connector of the cable, and your cab gets the unchanged Speakon plug. Complicated at first, but it makes the connection a no-brainer every other time you hook it up.

I don't know what kind of outputs the Navigator has, but if it supports balanced connections via either a 3-conductor TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) 1/4" jack or an XLR output jack, I'd suggest you use them. They'l have a lot less hum in tight wiring conditions. If the Navigator has just an unbalanced 1/4" output, then just use a regular instrument cord, as short as is practical. BTW, there is a DIP switch setting on the back of the RMX850 for having a single mono input split to the two channels if you get two cabs. Check the manual carefully for the right DIP switch settings and the proper channel input to use for the bridged configuration you plan on.

Using those cables, hook it up as you thought. Good luck! It should sound great.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    As far as the Navigator goes, I recommend you just hook up from one of the outputs on the back ( I have mine on the low channel), and make sure that the amp is not set to bi-amp.

The manual also says to leave all the biamp and Left Right stereo controls at center for quiet operation.

You could also use the direct out to connect to your amp, but Id recommend leaving that free for connecting straight into the board at larger shows and for recording.

:D I love my Navigator :D

Peace
    Nick