Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It's HUMID! Sticky neck cures?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by adouglas, Jul 19, 2005.

1. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Here in the NE US, we're being treated to our annual steam bath. It sucks. Real bad. Heat index today was 105.

Whenever it gets this humid, playing is a real problem. Not only do I sweat like the proverbial pig, but my bass's neck and body get sticky (gloss finish...polyurethane).

Wiping it off after every song is the only thing that helps, and it doesn't really help much.

Has anyone tried doing something like dusting their hands with cornstarch or talcum to help? You know, like gymnasts use...only not that extreme. Just enough to cut the stickiness.

Thoughts/comments?

2. baby powder works,

Jaco used to eat fried chicken before a gig and not wipe off the grease...personally, I don't recommend the Jaco method.

3. Yeah I've found that eating peices of salami with my hands works. I don't tend to have this problem though so I've never resorted to this method.

4. If you can get a big pack of silica gel (dessicant) in the cloth bags, you can hold one in your hand when you get and chance and it dries you right up. It has worked for me.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If this is a "workingman's " bass, you can use 320 grit sandpaper in the back of the neck to make it satin and really smooth; around 5 or 6 even wipes is all it needs.

The gloss finish will eventually come out again and become sticky again, just repeat the process as needed (playing 3 to 4 gigs a week, I do it twice a month).

I imagine this will eventually wear out the neck finish, but it will take awhile (all depending on use, of course).

If and after the finish is gone, apply some tung oil (easy oil finish applied by hand with a rag) and the problem will be pretty much cured forever.

Now, if this a $$$$ custom-made axe, then think about resale value, but if is a keeper and a player, this will work great.

BTW, using the sandpaper does not ruin the look of the neck or blemish it, it just will look and feel satin smooth.

6. Yes, 320 will wear out the finish in a shorter time than you may think. I use 220 as the second grit step in a neck refinish and 320 isn't too far away from that. If I do the "abrasive" method, I use 0000 steel wool which is the equivalent of something finer than 1000 grit sandpaper. Once you expose the maple, you run the risk of staining if you don't get a finish back on there poste haste.

One of the first things to do if the neck still has a lacquer or poly finish on it, is to clean it completely. There are two types of gunk to deal with - water soluble and oil soluble. Some Windex type cleaner on a paper towel will break up both and lift it off of the finish. Make sure it's super clean before deciding to do anything else. It might be that the cleaning is all that is needed to regain the slick feel.

7. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Taking abrasives to the neck is not going to be an option...I'm just not willing to go that far to solve a problem that only occurs when it's horribly hot and humid.

Aside from saving the sugar-packet-sized envelopes of silica gel that comes with every piece of electronic gear, how does one go about finding a big bag of dessicant?

Cornstarch or talcum (which is what baby powder is) occurred to me as a simple way to deal with it, but it struck me as sort of a geeky, weenie solution. Just wondering what others thought of it.

8. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    Code:
    If this is a "workingman's " bass, you can use 320 grit sandpaper in the back of the neck to make it satin and really smooth; around 5 or 6 even wipes is all it needs.

The gloss finish will eventually come out again and become sticky again, just repeat the process as needed (playing 3 to 4 gigs a week, I do it twice a month).

I imagine this will eventually wear out the neck finish, but it will take awhile (all depending on use, of course).

If and after the finish is gone, apply some tung oil (easy oil finish applied by hand with a rag) and the problem will be pretty much cured forever.

Now, if this a $$$$ custom-made axe, then think about resale value, but if is a keeper and a player, this will work great.

BTW, using the sandpaper does not ruin the look of the neck or blemish it, it just will look and feel satin smooth.
    ...sounds good, i will try this on my MIM P-Bass.
    I always loved the feel the Stingray necks have which are oiled too i think.

9. You can probably get some of the bigger packs of silica gel at your local guitar shop. They're packed in with pretty much every guitar.

10. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    On the back of my unfinished maple neck I use Kiwi neutral polish (a very light amount) and then wipe it off, followed by a coating of billiard-cue carnauba wax. The Kiwi actually makes it sticky, but was recommended by the mfg for maintenance. I really like how the carnauba wax makes the neck smooth and silky. Not sure what you can do for the body. However, I don't play out in the heat & humidity that often, even though I'm in Florida...

11. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Totally different deal. My neck is polyurethaned.

12. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    On my unfinished warwicks neck, i use GHS fast fret (spray some on your left palm and rub it around) on humid days. I think its just liquid graphite, but besides the point, hasnt hurt my finish and works very well.

13. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Get some Finger Ease and spray it on the back of the neck and polish it...works great for me on my polyurethaned necks

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY